Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fly651

Green Lake (Chisago)

11 posts in this topic

First off I wanted to thank Mike's Bait Shop for giving me infomation about the lake and it's regulations. We did pretty good out there during the morning hours as we landing 2 walleyes and a northern. The eyes were pretty fat, one at 18 inches and the other at 19... three pretty good hits came off assuming it be eyes... alot of lookers and also caught a few sunnies... will be back there this weekend. Ice thickness ranged from 6 to 9 inches. Good luck out there and be safe.

Thanks for the report! nice to see some chunks are being caught.

Nice report, Rich at Mikes bait does a nice job keeping up with the area reports and will always steer you in the right direction. Ask him about fishing Mille lacs sometime, he's got alot of experience on the big pond too!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Does anyone know where the rock bottoms are at??? Just looking to try something new up there... had a map but lost it... I don't like fishing with the crowds so if you guys go up and see a couple of portables in the middle of nowhere... thats us...

I agree, the guys at the bait shop are top-notch!

I spent a few hours on Green the other day and the fishing was very good. Caught a lot of gills in the shallows, with some nice crappies mixed in. The crappies came through only a couple feet below the ice and were very aggressive. Also managed to land a few bass and broke off on about a 10 pound pike by the hole. Also watched a few walleyes swim by that were not interested. Size 8 Ratsos, no bait, we the hot ticket. Pink head with a white body... 6-7 feet of water...

Made it back up there and found the school of crappies. Alot of 8 inchers but manage to get a few plus sizes for the frying pan. Snow made it real hard to pull our portables but was worth it. Saw some really nice northerns on the camera but they weren't interested in our shiners. Again caught alot of blue gills but were small. Thinking about going back up there this coming weekend. Good luck.

Is anybody driving out there yet? How thick is the ice?

Thanks

Quote:

Is anybody driving out there yet? How thick is the ice?

Only on the very south part of the lake. However, i would not drive a vehicle out quite yet. The lake has slush and snow, not exactly helping with the safety of the ice. Ice seems to be around 8" on south end. No roads plowed yet.

i drove out last night from the landing with a small ranger was 11+inches

My fish truck is a hair heavier, so i think I will wait. It may be old and rusty, but I don't want to turn it into a submarine just yet!

I usually fish Glyers bay for crappies and is that were you guys are having the best luck? I heard down by little Green has been good as well. Most important question, I am planning on taking the four wheeler and hauling two shacks on the snowmobile trailer. Will this be an impossible dream with the snow/slush or is it packed down from snowmobile traffic back to the bay.

Thanks for the help