Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack42man

Lake Sturgeon

7 posts in this topic

Rumor has it that a 65 inch lake sturgeon (70 lbs??) was caught ice fishing this last week on 4 lbs test. Hard to believe. Is this possible?? It was released because season is closed. But I would think this would be some type of state record.

Several fish that size are caught every spring. There

were 2 fish approaching 100 pounds the year before last

so you can believe that these are big fish. Come up this

spring and catch a few with us and then tell me you can

land a 70 pounder on 4 pound test line.

They are caught thru the ice pretty regularly. It would

be fun.

THE FISH WAS 47'' AND THEY THOUGHT IT WEIGHTED 30LBS

Check out Sportsman's Lodges website. There have been several sturgeon caught in their houses. The biggest being 54" (in the slot and released).

I don't know about through the ice, but I will say that it is possible to catch a pretty big fish on 4 lb test. This past May I was able to land a 58 inch sturgeon that we figured weighed somewhere around 60 lbs on 4 lb test on the Rainy River. It takes patience and a strategy, but it's not impossible. As far as 100 lbs goes, does anybody know the biggest fish caught on LOW? I know in the early days of comercial fishing sturgeon, large fish were not that uncommon. How about in more recent history?

I caugt a 60" sturgeon through the ice at Long Point in April of 2006. It almost an hour and a half on 14lb fireline almost ran me completely out of line twice. Thankfully I had a 10" hole to get up through.

Anyone know what the biggest sturgeon through the ice is?

The sturgeon was 64 inches, on 4# test line, caught out of Sportsman's Lodge Sleeper houses.