Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMauer14

A Couple Of Questions.(Silver,Gervais,School Section)

8 posts in this topic

I go to Silver lake over in North St.Paul and they took the weeds out of the lake and we havent been having luck like we always do. im getting a little worried. What do you think about it? Also...I know Gervais is supposed to be a good lake for fishing but where so you fish and is it good for Northerns? Lastly, I have heard about School Section a lot and i know there are big fish. Where do you guys go and what kind of lukc do you usually have?

Thanks.

Interesting you mention little Silver lake. I have found early spring the pike can be on fire there and from shore with a spinner bait you are in for a treat.

Concerning Gervais. I would not say a good fishing lake however like any metro lake it does support fish. You ask about Pike specifically and I would actually say Gervais is a very very poor pike fishery. Which is surprising as many of the near by lakes like White Bear and Bald Eagle have a very healthy pike population. Gervais in my mind in an excellent Tiger musky body of water but poor pike population. The School Section you mention I am not at all familiar with. Another lake near Gervias that has lots of pike is Phalen.

Can you even get on School Section? I know in summer and duck hunting you cannot unless you know someone on the lake. Do you just walk over the edge of the road onto the lake? I know parking can be tricky, maybe at the school??...

Gervais... a sleeper lake in my eyes, at least in summer. If you want to learn how to fish plastic worms that is the place, holy cow, fun time! Also had a couple "2 muskie"days out there. Also have a 38" pike I caught on video about 10 years ago - released it, but I bet not many pike caught there get released these days, I hope so. The list of nice fish could go on, actualy, from that lake. Didn't fish it last year though, so can't say. I would like to ice fish it, but not sure where to park and get on it if the park is closed.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys. Yeah I have fished silver for 5 years and have had a couple of 50 flag 30 fish days and havent hit much this year. Been out 6 times and have only had 36 flags. I guess its alright but im hoping for better luck.

You can get on school section once the ice is thick enough to support vehicles by driving past the lake from the south (just before the lake from the north) and taking the dirt road west. You will see an area where multiple people will pull off the road and park on the ice. The high water line is way past the right of way so they cannot stop you from going on the ice there. On weekends there will be several vehicles there. We have caught plenty of fish especially crappie out of school section, and my largest bass through the ice. The southern side will have permanents setup in a bay, but I like the main southern basin right where the line of dead-head trees form a line. The only pressure this lake receives is winter so it can be a very good time. Heading out there this saturday with several friends and their wives.

I fish silver in the summer but never in the winter. Where do you go, is it frozen good where the spring is? Let me know if you'd be interested in heading out together. Also, you could try Battle Creek for some pike, not huge, but still fun to catch.

Concerning Gervais, Mr. Pike nailed it, I think. Their are pike but apparently low numbers. Ive caught many more tigers out of this body of water than pike. I dont know how much action the tigers would give you in the winter though.

Quote:

I fish silver in the summer but never in the winter. Where do you go, is it frozen good where the spring is? Let me know if you'd be interested in heading out together. Also, you could try Battle Creek for some pike, not huge, but still fun to catch.

Right off of the point. There is about 11 inches out there.