• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Binoculars

mtwalleye

Question

I am going to be purchasing a new pair of binoculars. I mainly use them for hunting in northern MN woods with some field hunting plus just general use during the summer. What power do your recommend and why? I currently use a pair of Nikon compact 10x42's. I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch and Cabela's Pine Ridge 8x42 and 10x42's.

6 answers to this question

Check with the Bird Watching forum, as those guys really know their optics.

I use Burris Signature Series 8x42. I really like them, and found them better than the Monarchs in crispness and construction, though the Monarchs are what I was going to buy when I went shopping. I still like the Monarchs, but the Burris more. I also got them on clearance, as now I think there is only 10x42 in Signature series, so the price was right.

I use mine for deer hunting and for scouting for ducks/geese, and just general use. I like the size, and would not want anything bigger to carry around regularly.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. Any recommendations on 8x42 or 10x42. What are the benefits of one over the other? I know the technical difference, just want to understand peoples opinions on preference.

For me, the 8x are bit more forgiving in showing my hand shakiness smile.gif My brother had some 10x50's and man, it was hard to pick moving things up, as your FOV was smaller and it seemed more jerky to me.

Good luck,

I have 7X35 Burris Signatures and recently replaced them with 10X42 Monarchs. The Burris' are old and it was time. I can tell you there is a difference in the magnification, but the quality is the the same. If you are a habitual coffee drinker, the 10Xs might be a little shaky, otherwise, this isnt an issue. I have never thought it was an issue.