• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buddy caught on fire

SCOTTJ

Question

Up on LOW last weekend my friend's Big Buddy heater burst into flames inside his Otter. He had it in front of the door and was luckily able to get it out of there. I heard a loud PUFF, and looked out just in time to see him throw it about 10 yards and it just burned up out on the ice. Anyone heard of this happening before?

27 answers to this question

Yes I've seen it.

Apparently, there were some issues with the big buddy heaters gas pressure regulators on some models. That was news to me until my friends pretty much burst into flames last winter.

From what I understand the problems are now solved. It seems to me that if you have a big buddy you have a 50/50 chance of having some kind of problem if it is 1 year old or older.

Wow those are some kind of odds! I have seen this happen before on the cooker, it looked like the guy was having a bon fire in his house.

I'm not saying 50/50 it's gonna start on fire. Those are the odds for fires, regulators, pilot orifaces, knobs, just going out on it's own, etc.

From what I understand the new ones are the cats meow and pretty much have the problems worked out.

That's interesting. Last weekend on URL, my friend's brand new Big Buddy worked fine for 2 days, then decided it wanted to shoot a 7" long pilot flame out.

My Buddy heater (1/2 year old) wanted to be cantankerous as well, and the <bleep> valve wouldn't go to "pilot" or "low" or "high" unless I warmed the whole heater over my backup heater/cooker.

My friend ended up using my heater/cooker for the rest of the trip, and I had to run over and warm up the buddy to get the valve to move.

Since I've been back, I've been searching for a sunflower-type heater with a ceramic plate so it will burn cleaner. I KNOW I've seen them before, but I can't find them. Anyone have any recommendations for something a bit more robust?

Tim

I would expect there is a recall on the effected units. The Mfr. would have a serious liability issue if they don't do something.

Bob

From the Mr. Heater site:

In 2004 Mr. Heater issued a recall on certain Big Buddy and Tough Buddy heaters. Following are some facts about the recall and guidelines for determining whether the recall affects your heater.

This recall was initiated because the valve on the propane heaters can leak, posing a fire hazard if an ignition source is present.

The affected Big Buddy heaters (Model MH18B) were sold between September and December 2004 at a number of sporting goods and hardware stores throughout the United States.

The affected Tough Buddy heaters (also Model MH18B) were sold between September and December 2004 at Lowe’s home center stores.

This recall does not apply to Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9B or any other Mr. Heater product.

Only heaters in a certain serial number range are impacted by this recall.

Your heater IS AFFECTED only if both of the following two statements are true:

The only serial number is between MHC 000001 and MHC 294431

The serial number does not have a yellow overlay (highlighting) over the serial number and the letter "R" following the serial number

Your heater IS NOT EFFECTED if any of the following is true:

Its serial number is MHC 294432 or higher

Its serial number is MHC 748000000001 and higher.

Its serial number is MHC 748100000001 and higher.

If you believe that your heater is affected by this recall call the Mr. Heater Customer Care Team at 800-964-4328. Affected heaters will be replaced at no cost to you.

If you need help in determining whether your heater is affected, call the Mr. Heater Customer Care Team at 800-964-4328.

You guys scared hell out of me. When I logged on all I saw was "buddy caught on fire" and I thought "Good grief...some poor guys fishin' pal burst into flames."

I dunno....some of the stuff you young guys ingest anything might be possible! grin.gif

These Buddy heaters are not winning any votes on my side.

Big or small they look great in the store, but what I have read about them in last 2 months on FM, I would pass on them. My sun flower may not be the best for clean burning, but a little yearly cleaning/ maint (I.E. adjust thermo coupler, clear air choke, check tightness of connections and check rubber seal on male end) the thing has never failed and I bought it 10 years ago. Plus I think new, the sun flower style Mr. Heater is cheaper than either of the buddies (I do not know).

I hope we never read about someone geting hurt or dies because of these heaters! By the sounds of it, it no out of the relm. confused.gif

Quote:

Since I've been back, I've been searching for a sunflower-type heater with a ceramic plate so it will burn cleaner. I KNOW I've seen them before, but I can't find them. Anyone have any recommendations for something a bit more robust?

Tim

Tim,

I know of the one you want. Its a single square head, with catalytic style burner. I can not find them at all on the internet.

Quote:

Quote:

Tim

Tim,

I know of the one you want. Its a single square head, with catalytic style burner. I can not find them at all on the internet.

I think I found it on the Cabelas website. It is called the silent blind something-or-other. The downside is that there is no adjustment range on the BTU output - just on/off.

Still looking.

Tim

Buoght a regular buddy heater the year they came out and it has bounced out ov my uncovered sled more that once while trraveling behind the wheeler. still works like a charm. the best thing is they are so quiet you dont even know there running. ... paul

I'm pretty sure the regular buddy heaters have been solid since day one. The problems I have had, and have heard of, come from the big buddys.

Quote:

These Buddy heaters are not winning any votes on my side.

Big or small they look great in the store, but what I have read about them in last 2 months on FM, I would pass on them. My sun flower may not be the best for clean burning, but a little yearly cleaning/ maint (I.E. adjust thermo coupler, clear air choke, check tightness of connections and check rubber seal on male end) the thing has never failed and I bought it 10 years ago. Plus I think new, the sun flower style Mr. Heater is cheaper than either of the buddies (I do not know).

I hope we never read about someone geting hurt or dies because of these heaters! By the sounds of it, it no out of the relm.

My post may have been a little off. I have not used either heater and just have been reading about the "Buddy heater" on FM forums. I have noticed the Big Buddy is the one people are asking ?'s about.

I actually had a Buddy of mine ignite himself last year ice fishing. Had a new three man shack and a mean hangover. He backed into the heater messing around with a bluegill. Had a nylon coat on and went and POOF...flames shooting up his back and feathers flying.

He was able to escape from his coat with minor burns to his hands. We laugh about it now, but he was about ten seconds from the burn unit.

Had to clean feathers out of my shack for a month.

I also had a small issue with my buddy shooting a 7" flame out of the pilot. It was like the gas was running out full bore. I figured with a move we make some pressure had built up so I unhooked the hose and then let the gas pressure out of the buddy for about 2 min. I was suprised that there could be that much gas in the lines of the buddy without the hose connected. Once I relieved the pressure and reattached the hose everything worked fine

Quote:

You guys scared hell out of me. When I logged on all I saw was "buddy caught on fire" and I thought "Good grief...some poor guys fishin' pal burst into flames."

I dunno....some of the stuff you young guys ingest anything might be possible!
grin.gif

I got a good laugh out of this. I can see where some one would think it by the look of the subject line.

I have the Buddy Heater and I had mine catch on fire too. It still works(as little as it does).

me and my buddy were up on mille lacs last sunday and his big buddy crapped out on us. i was thinkin about buying one before but now i think ill stick with the sunflower

Quote:

I own two big buddy heaters, and both have always worked fine...I must be one of the lucky ones...

I have to agree. I bought mine last season and have had no troubles yet.

You guys for the most part have read my post in the ice fishing forum, same thing happened to me. Were you guys using the hose to an external tank or the 1 pounders? I was using the hose and didn't have the filter tight (I tightened it up with gloves on, not bare hands) and thats where my problem was. I kicked it out of my PakShack and broke the access door (which they replaced after I called them) and less than 5 minutes after the fire, had all the connections tight and it was going with no problems. Call Mr Heater, they will make it right with your buddy- believe me, they have 5 star customer service.

Gee, I'm a retired lawyer. Any of you guys want to sign up and take them on? This thread is incredible.

Just checked and this was issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission on March 31, 2005

CPSC, Mr. Heater, Inc. Announce Recall to Repair Mr. Heater "Big Buddy/Tough Buddy" Propane Heaters

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Mr. Heater "Big Buddy" and "Tough Buddy" portable propane heaters

Units: About 55,000

Manufacturer: Mr. Heater, Inc., of Cleveland, Ohio

Hazard: The valve on the propane heaters can leak, posing a fire hazard if an ignition source is present.

Incidents/Injuries: Mr. Heater has received 26 reports of propane leaks. No injuries have been reported.

Description: Only model number MH18B Mr. Heater "Big Buddy" and "Tough Buddy" propane heaters are included in the recall. The model number is located on the rear panel of the unit. The heaters are either black with yellow accents around the burner tiles or light gray with red accents around the burner tiles. "Mr. Heater" is printed in the lower right hand corner of the heaters.

Sold at: Home centers, sporting goods, and hardware stores nationwide from September 2004 through December 2004 for between $120 and $149.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Contact Mr. Heater for instructions on receiving a replacement heater.

A simple call to Mr Heater will solve your problems, they have addressed the issue and have a replacement plan in place. Now, don't you have an ambulance somewhere to chase? wink.gifgrin.gif

Actually I retired as a prosecutor. Guess I followed cop cars more than chased ambulances. I wouldn't know what to do if contacted by someone for this type of thing, just thought the thread should be kept alive and updated.

If they've addressed the problem how come there are so many notes on this thread about things happening recently? This seems to me to be incredibly important and should be seen by anyone who has one of these things.

Manufacture-ers can only fix/replace recalled equipment IF the owners do their part by either bringing it to a local dealer, shipping to factory, etc.

As far as some of the other issues, not safety related, I spose they are either working on it or it's been fixed. The whole starting of fire thing comes way priority over now they always just go out.

Quote:

Manufactured in: China

There's the first problem. Boilerguy is right they can't fix units that don't get sent in or returned.