• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baby FMer GetTogether Postponed becuase of inclement weather

polarsusd81

So I have been tossing around the idea to a couple people of having a Baby FMer Get Together out on the ice. The idea is to bring kids out for their first, second, third, etc. time on the ice, and give them a great experience and help set them on a path to becoming an outdoor enthusiast. We are planning to get together on the ice on Saturday, January 19th in the Chisago Lindstrom area. As for the time, it will only be a couple hours, 1:00 pm until 3:00 pm to keep it short and not overwhelm any of the youngsters. The exact location has not been dialed in as of yet, but I, along with a few others will be out scouting in the coming weeks to make sure we can put the little ones on some fish. It is open to kids of all ages, experienced or not. The one thing I would like to ask, is that if you are bringing a little one, like my boy, is that they are at least able to walk on their own. It is also requested that at least one parent, if not both parents of the children are there. One thing I am going to ask is that we can keep an adult near each of the fishing holes at all times to keep the highest possible level of safety for the kids. All parents that intend to help their children fish, must have a fishing license to partake in the event. I will be out a bit earlier to drill some holes and kinda set up a perimeter, so if some older kids that are really looking to fish would like to come out a bit earlier, say 11:30 to 12:00 that should be okay. If you wish to keep a few fish you catch, you are welcome to do so. We plan to bring a small coleman stove out to grill up some hot dogs and we will have juice, milk, water, and hot chocolate for refreshments. I also intend to set up a few fish houses for warming up the kids on an as needed basis. It wont just be fishing either, we will bring a soccer ball out so if the kids are getting bored fishing, they can run around and play a bit. It is not intended to be a "force the kids to fish" type deal as that will not work and not give them a good impression of ice fishing, but rather geared toward going out and having fun on the ice.

So if you would like to come out, please join us. Who knows, maybe it will become an annual event?

Things to bring if you have them:

- Warm clothing

- Something to sit on if you have it, whether it is a bucket or a folding chair, or even bring out your portable house if you have one

- Ice fishing rods if you have them

- A toy or two your kids like to play with

- Fishing License for those required to have one

- Something to snack on if your kids don't care for hot dogs (but who doesn't)

We will announce the exact location for the event by January 13th.

If any of the FM members or pro-staffers would like to help, by all means feel free. This could turn out to be a pretty big event.

If you would like to attend, but are not an FM member, please post here so I can get an approximate head count for the event.

Hope to see you out there.

Tom Dobbins

Tom, what an awesome idea!!! Unfortunately I can't be there. I'll be on URL that weekend.

Hopefully you get a good turnout. Start em young!!!!!!!!

I know you will get some great action photos. Please post them after the event!!!!

Awesome Tom!! Thanks for going above and beyond in organizing this. If you need help scouting let me know. I will bring my flip over as well for warming and sitting.

Tom, this is a great idea. I am a strong maybe for this event. I've got 2 little girls of my own and I've got 2 sisters who would love to come. I should be able to drag my dad along to help, but he works 3rd shift so we'll see. As soon as I know I'll let you know.

I kinda figured Sand and King were in for sure, and Powerstroke, it would be great to have you come out there too. At one point in time, Shackbash was very interested in helping out with the event, so I will email him and see if he is still in. My buddy Troy McLure is in as well, we are bringing his neice out there with us and his dad and bro-in-law are coming out to help too.

I have quite a few families that are not FM members as of yet that are planning to come out with the kids as well. From 15 months to 13 years so it will be an all ages deal. I can't wait.

Tom

Tom,

You have mail!

This sounds like a great deal. My two boys will have a blast and can help also. They are 6-11. As of right now, the 19th will be open for me. Let me know if we need anything.

As of right now, the things I am hoping to locate to help out with the get together would be a couple large suitcase style portables that we can set up for warming shacks, and anyone that has extra rods, to bring those as well if you don't mind kids using them. I think most people with really little ones, like my son, will be fishing with them on their lap, but there will be a few in the 3-5 range that are in the transition from using a snoopy pole to going to something a bit nicer. And if you have tip-ups, bring them out too as we can try to set up a border so to say with them to keep the group somewhat contained.

My mom is going to come out and probably spend some time fishing with my little boy on her lap, to allow me to make sure things go as smooth as possible.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea for people to bring a change of clothes for their kids in the event that one of them puts a foot in the hole. I am hoping to prevent that by having adults by all the fishing holes, but it might still happen.

Tom

Yeah, yeah. I will be there. The intent is to set up a perimeter with stakes or flags that will help to keep everyone around.

I will help to set up a few fishing related games for the kids to enjoy.

Also, I would like to provide some hot chocolate or cider for the attendees to keep them warm.

I remember my first experience ice fishing and it was a blast. I was around nine years old and iced a bunch of monsters (of course a 4 inch sunny counted as a monster to me). It was the help of conscientious adults with a knowledge of fishing that kept me interested.

Now I am a lifelong outdoorsman. Lets give the little ones that same advantage.

Weather permitting I will be there with my 3 year old daughter, at least as long as she stays somewhat dry and intersted...but I will also be able to bring my 4X8 Suitcase style house as well

Big Wade, that is exactly what we are going to try to do. Trying to keep them interested but also having other options to keep them entertained if they get bored with fishing. That and by keeping at least one adult near the holes that are drilled out in the open will minimize the risk of getting wet. I talked to some of the guys at Thorne Bros tonight and they said they would help out as much as they can.

I plan to set the aqua-vu camera up on at least one hole so kids can take turns watching themselves catch fish. Planning to have a soccer ball out there too so they can run and play. Depending on the weather, we might be able to have them make snow angles or a couple snow men.

Quote:

My buddy Troy McLure is in as well, we are bringing his neice out there with us and his dad and bro-in-law are coming out to help too.

is that the same troy mclure from such educational films as "lead paint: delicious but deadly" and "here comes the metric system". grin.gif

Quote:

is that the same troy mclure from such educational films as "lead paint: delicious but deadly" and "here comes the metric system".
grin.gif

I was one of the first people to speak out against horseplay.

Troy McLure and I will be out scouting on New Year's eve and day in the area if anyone cares to join us. I think Sandmand and Kingfisher will be out there one day as well. Let me know and we can make arrangements to meet up out there.

Sounds like it should be a good time. I have two boys that I am sure would like to attend. I'll have to see if I can get that day off.

This was there first time out ice fishing on Minnetonka

boysfishinks6.jpg

I marked the 19th down on the calendar. I'd like to get out with my 3 y.o. daughter Ruby and meet some locals. If the stars align, my wife might make it out too, she's 7mo. along with our second. LB

I'll be meeting up with Tom on Monday to see if we can't find some fish for this get together.

I just e-mailed Tom--- I got on the fish tonight in the area... caught well over 200 crappies... I will have Tom post the area closer to the date so the area does not get pounded.

Kingfisher and I met polarsusd81 & TroyMcClure up there yesterday. I think we fished where Deitz told him and we pounded on pannies pretty good. I don't think we came close to the 200 or so he had, but we had a lot of fun. I hope they are active like this for the kids, it should be a good lake and a great time. Thanks to Tom for realy working to put this together.

It was a good bit of fun meeting up with you guys out there to do a little pre fishing and it was good fishing at that. Those couple holes outside were hot for a while weren't they? We tried a couple more lakes today and didn't have quite the luck as yesterday, but learned a few things and froze a few body parts.

Hey polarsusd81-

shoot me an e-mail. I forgot the name of your friends' name and his website. I want to try contacting him and setting something up.

Thanks

Great to hear you guys had luck on Monday. cool.gif

I think any size biting would be just fine.

I have about 5 tip ups. I have an old bucket with about 10 jig sticks in it, but I can not remember where it is at. I will have to call my father and ask him. I do not have a suitcase style house, but I think weather (temp) is going to be very nice. Maybe almost too nice. Well see.

This should be fun and count me in on coming early to help. I have a 6-11 year old(s) that can help also.

I have a tip up as wells as 3 rods (I need to put line on one of them!) that I can bring along. It should be a great time!!!

I think this is a fantastic idea and hope to be able to bring both of my young boys...

Your more than welcome to join us!... I look forward to seeing everyone there. Now just cross your fingers and hope for good weather that day!

Ya, lets hope we are not walking around in 6" of slushy water. I hear we are going to have a pretty big thaw next week confused.gif. If so, I hope it cools back down to freeze by the 19th.

Other than 30 beg. below, blizzard or 2-3' of snow between now an then, it should be good weather.

Great Idea!. I would be there with my two boys, but we have a birthday party for my God child! She wouldn't care if we missed it, but my kids mom(aka, the boss, my wife...) definetely would. A happy wife is a happy life!

If it is a success, count me in on the sequel!

Paul

I hear ya shackbash, let's hope it's not a slush pit or the kids will get pretty darn wet.

Hey H2O, from the sounds of things, and all the positive feedback I have received so far, there will most certainly be another event next year. I can understand the circumstance, it would be great if you could join, but ya know.

I am going to try to get an approximate head count in the next week or so, so I can figure out how many dogs and buns we need to get. One of the guys I work with had a great idea to make heating them easier and I think instead of grilling them we will probably boil them with a turkey fryer to be able to cook more than just a few at a time. Should be just like the ball park.

I am really excited for the event and can't wait to see the reaction on kids faces, especially if they catch their first fish out there, which I am sure a lot of them will be doing. That first fish is one for the memory books. I am going to be bringing my camera out there to photograph the event as well, so if people want to get a copy of the photos, all they have to do is ask.

One thing I need to remind people of, if you do not have a fishing license but are planning to bring your kids out, you need to pick one up. Here is a link to the DNR website for pricing on fishing licenses. DNR Fishing License information Anybody age 16 or older must carry a fishing license with them during the event if they plan to assist in any way the catching of a fish. They are available in a multitude of locations so be sure to bring it with.