Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TipupSprinter

First time to Rainy Lake

3 posts in this topic

Well I've alway wanted to ice fish Minnesota and this years its happening. I'm going to be up in mid January. I would take any useful information about the lake and its characteristics. Going to be fishing around Black Bay area and am bring up portables and snowmobiles or atv's depending on the snow depth. We'll be targeting anything thats biting Walleye, Pike and/or Crappie.

I usually just tip-up fish for walleye and pike but with Minn. two line law i did purchase my first medium action jig pole for walleye. We usaually just use a treble hook and minnow but can't do that in Minn. either.

Any fishing tips would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to Rainy! You Wisconsin guys love tip up fishing huh! I had a big group from Wisconsin last year and we did well on big pike. In fact I believe there might be a picture of one of the guys and a big gator he caught via Tip up fishing. One tip up and one jigging rod is a nice start. Tip-up rigs will likely produce both pike and eyes, and personally would rig with a big shiner about 5 feet of the bottom. I then would jig with jigging spoons, raps, glow jigs, forage minnows, whistler jigs.... Everyone has there "Go To" jigs, and I'm sure your no different. I like glow or gold. I'd get yourself out on some breaklines or mid lake structure deeper in the day and shallower in lowlight periods. Oh yeah! Don't forget the digital camera! You'll be on one of the most beautiful lakes in the northwoods! "Were the fish are big and the crowds are small".

RD

Thanks for the great information. I've never caught a pike or walleye jigging before can't wait till Jan. 10th.