Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle

ice conditions

16 posts in this topic

How are the ice conditions up there? Im headed up on friday to fish for the weekend. How many inches of ice on average lake would you all say is up there? Is there alot of slush still? Down here it got pretty cold this past week and alot of the slush froze.

Thanks

the lakes I've been fishing are SPOTTY. To dangerous to drive anywhere really. Some spots are good until you fish them for a day than they start flooding and get pretty slushy. The layer of ice underneath the mess can be from 8 inches to 12 inches. It's varied that much on the same lake so just be careful.

Bait is right -- i would be very careful. Some goofs are driving out, but that is just natural selection at its best.

with cars? or snowmobiles/atv? I really would like to take my sled out, but if the ice isnt right then I'll have to walk.

I think you'd be fine with a wheeler or a sled, I know I'd be comfortable on the lakes that I fish with either. The vehicle (Car, truck, SUV) should definatly wait.

Is there a slush crust? How thick is it? I can find out for myself when I get up there too, but its nice to know what to kind of expect.

A sled will be perfect, about a foot of snow with a slight crust on it but the sleds weight will go right through it. Slush under slow is minimal now, and will freeze through any day now. I would take a sled out over a wheeler if you have both.

Saw five full size trucks on Pelican -- they are NUTS.

One of my brothers offered to take me out yesterday. He borrowed my cousins 4-wheeler and did all the heavy work. There was about 10 inches of ice on Lida. A few four wheelers and one goofball came out in an SUV. I wouldn't trust the ice to be consistent. All in all fishing was very good. Between the two of us we caught something like 13 or 14 norhterns up to 8lbs. One walleye, 24". About two dozen crappies, not all legal. And more than 40 bluegills, some pretty nice. We were in 21 feet of water and I can't get too specific because my cousin will have a hissy fit. Bait: northerns- shiners and suckers, bluegills- wax worms, crappie- wax worms and crappie minnows, and walleye- crappie minnow (must have been suicidal or just down on her luck) Great to get out and I owe Sumo (the brother) big time for this one.

One last note. He bought one of those fake weeds to put down the hole. One trip is not much of a test but once he put it down the fish seemed to stay in the area better. The schools would drift in and out before and stuck around after.

I had 10" of clear ice on Sallie. There is a crust of ice beneath the snow. Slush is anywhere from minimal to getting out Noah's ark. Still flloding. My portable was acting like a barge a few times while I was pulling with my sled. I hate fishing in slush, I think I'll stick to the sled for a while.

Dead -- you get anything? I was shutout -- a couple of sniffers that was it.

Dead -- you get anything?

I just had a couple of sniffers.

I had two decent slimers and a perch. There was way too much slush for me to fish the spot I wanted to. One of the slimers just about had the same girth as my 8" hole, but it was a shorty at around 28"

I was on Pelican last nite and it isn't getting any better. The fishing is slow and the slush is still there. It seems like the last shot of weather we got made for more snow and it is harder than previous. If you go out to move a house you will want help along.

and that's why I'm going snowmobiling today instead of fishing crazy.gif

There's still slush out there, but in pockets. I'm not sure how long it will take to freeze it through, but the ice underneath it is still pretty good. We're driving out to where my permanent is, a good 13 inches of ice with isolated slush.