• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

98 F-150 power steering

R_B

Question

Just had the head gasket replaced. He replaced the power steering pump as well and now it constantly whines. I was told to drive it for a while before worrying about it. I have put about 100 miles on it now and it hasn't gotten any better. Any suggestions on to fix this?

3 answers to this question

If there was any air in the system, as they were hoping, it should have been out already. Since they installed the part, I would bring it back to them for warranty purposes. Make sure they put in the correct fluid, It should take mercon v. If it isnt quiet dont let them tell you that its as good as it gets. I have run into some problems with after market pumps being noisey. If it wasnt an oe pump, they may need to upgrade to oe.

I would say this also! At dealership what tech declines a "service part warranty" on a repair like this grin.gif

Air does take a while in these to work its self out. If it was a dealership, you will have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty with the repair. That’s lock, stock and barrel. No cost to you. Noise or the pump locks up, it’s covered. Aftermarket it would very!