Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Agronomist_at_IA

Any Dec. 18 Fishing Reports on Upper Red?

13 posts in this topic

Heading up to Upper Red Lake to Ice Fish tonight. Figure If we leave at midnight we'll be able to be at the shak by 10am. Wanted to know if anyone has a fishing report? What colors are hot? What bait is working? Crappie bite still non-existant? Any info or help would be appreciated.

A friend on my daughters was out this weekend and caught lots of walleyes and lost one crappie in the hole. Glow sppons with minnow heads as well as plastics about 3 1/2 miles out on Hillman's road.

Good luck Ag, that makes my 4 hour drive seem like nothin!! Hope you get into em..

We have some houses rented from Westwinds the 27th - 29th, I hope there is enough ice that they can bring them out. Would anybody up suggest bringing portables in case they can't put out there houses. We have 8 guys and that is alot of extra equipment to bring. Any information would be appreciated.

This agronomist from Minn. was up last week and you can read my post in forum below(12/15 report).

Full minnow on a #6 Frostie probably was my best walleye bait. Jigging with a minnow head was generally less effective.

We were not in an area where crappies were expected and did not get any- northern fishing was slow.

Hopefully weather will stabilize and more exploration will be possible-

Good luck smile.gif

goosegod, most of the resort operators plan on having houses out next week. Of course the best answer can only come from the resort you plan on staying with.

I like to think of the perm as a basecamp. I always bring my portable to URL cause there are miles and miles of terrain you could be fishing and with such a lack of structure, you could move 100 feet in any direction and find more fish than you were just on. It may be a lot of gear to bring, but I think you will catch more fish if you plan on being mobile and adventurous during the day.

I was out 2 miles out of hillmans on 12/17 from 1pm-5pm and caught 40 walleyes. We had the best luck on a green forage minnow tipped we a minnow head. we were fishing in 10 ft of water.

I got a second hand report at work today. 3 guys out of Hillmans yesterday - 1 fish in close, no more bites, so they went out to 5 miles. Caught one more wally. No other bites - these guys are diehards as well (retired). I am planning to go up Saturday anyway. Both caught on a lime green pimple type thingy with a crappie minnow. They were fishing in the morning mostly, so I am hoping that they:

A. were fishing too early or

B. were unlucky or not trying hard enough or

C. were just in the wrong spot (twice)......

They said the ice road was fine, but don't go driving around off the road. 9" ice in close, over 20" ice in their holes out at 5 miles.

I'm going to take the wheeler as my truck is a 1 ton crew cab. Looks like it's going to be a cold ride out though - weather is cooling off a bit. Better for making ice!

cheers

River

Jim and Dean rolled in this morning around 9am. It was slow until 2 pm. They were 3.5 miles out of agassiz and figured they caught 20 walleyes with 4 keepers.

Has Agassiz built up at all since last winter? I know that the entire place had burnt down...

Yes jeff from agassiz has built a new bait store and a place to hang his hat

I never got the story of Agassiz lodge getting burnt down. What happened?

Just got back from upper red. Fished out of aggasiz. we were out about 3/4 mile in about 8 feet of water. Four of us fished all night. Best bite was from sundown until sunrise. we caught or 60th walleye then decided we should pack up and head home because of the weather. Fishing was awesome. The night bite was the best walleye fishing i have ever done. Aggasiz bait was up and open, still building but hea had all the bait we needed. Go get em. Nooner