Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lunker-1967

Size of "keepers" ???

25 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everybody else considers to be keeper walleyes? I and the people I fish with will not keep any walleyes less than 15" or anything 20" or larger, unless they are hooked really bad. My thoughts are that the < 15" fish need to grow a bit and the 20" plus fish are the main spawners. Hope others use this mentality so there will be fish to catch in the future. I could have had my limit at times if I would keep everything I caught, but chose not to. I also would not mind if the state would reduce the daily limit to 4. What does everyone think?

I am not sure that a reduction of the limit to 4 would go over very well. It is important to remember that your daily and possession limits are the same unless otherwise specified. For walleyes, it is 6 (daily / possession). This would make the possession limit 4.

I could live with it, but I rarely fish for walleyes these days.

19" and over are C@R. 14 1/2 to 18" are the target fish. I hope the people on Wita are tossing back those 20" + fish. You can only have 1 over leagally.

That is my target area myself, although unless I get to Lake of the Woods, I give up on the walleyes down here in Southern Minnesota, just can't find them consistently, so I let them be. We usually figure about 14" to 20" is a keeper up North. Anything bigger, yuck and smaller, what the heck is point of filleting something like that. Not a big fan of those keep everything folks. I was just reading the Outdoor News this morning and marvelling at the pictures of folks that keep those bigger 25" plus fish for whatever reason. Makes me sick when people keep those big hogs! I also read about all the over fish limit violations in the news too. What are people thinking, take what you need and leave some for seed!

14 - 19" for me. Everything else goes back.

4 'eyes per day? Bring it on.

17" is perfect laugh.gif

I agree with Team Otter 14 - 19 inches - everything else goes back

great post. the one great thing about fm is the quality of the people on here. hopefully we are making an impact on the future. myself i'm with team otter 14-19. and if it's appearing to be a small female then I let that back as well. I also only keep fish part of the time. myself i'm content with a meal or two in the spring and a meal or two early winter. otherwise I"ll give a fish to the mother or grandmother but that's it. they have to be fresh not frozen for this guy again great post oh ya i'm all for lower limits. I would love to see a statewide slot size of 14-19 with only one over 28. probably won't ever happen but hey we have to start somewhere it is our state fish

I dont keep anything over 19" but i've kept 13 1/2" fish. A game warden on Winnie once told me keeping 12" fish out of Winnie wouldnt hurt anything biologically and in fact keeping a 13" fish rather than a 17-18" is better for lakes biologically. Its easier for mother nature too replace a couple year old 13" fish than an 17-18" fish and less chance that a 13" fish is a female. So my general rule is 14-18" fish depending on the body of water. I kept a few 13 1/2" fish out of Winnie last year because of what the warden said and i personally like that size fillet. I also kept some from Elysian that size and thought the fillets were excellent.

Nothin wrong with a 13 incher. I usually don't keep them unless I am getting nothing else, but to fry those 13-15's are the best ones.

I usually keep them 14-20, anything else goes back in the drink unless it is obvious it's gonna die.

13" IS DOWN RIGHT FOWL. 14 and 15 are kinda skank too. Ya oughta at least let em get 16. Some of them 15"s on the Mn river are good though, Plenty of them and low merc. To many 13's are taken from the south thats why there aint no good southern lakes. People crop em off at 9 ta 13 inches and pound them little 200 acre 5 foot sloughs ta death.

sorry. I guess the Ma nature thing makes sense. Them runts probably dont spawn much anyway. I guess Im just mad because people just take the dinks before they grow and there aint no good fish to catch period. Who knows what we should keep. The best thing we could do is let them all go. Fish for fun and when ya want a meal take a day off and hit up the HIvee or CUB. Its probably the same price once you figure in time and gas and bait. yea some harvest is needed but if we all let em go there will always be a small percentage that keeps em.

13"-19", 4 fish limit (1 over 28") Would be the best option IMO.

Oh come on now. A 13 incher is no big deal to keep and I already said that I usually won't keep them. I agree that it's not right to go and pound a lake to death keeping all little ones. But if I go out and catch 2 17 inchers and I get a 13 right before I am ready to leave, I'll probably skin it.

Here's a idea, Why dont they put a protected slot limit state wide anything under 15" must be released. 15 to 20" limit of 5. one over 28". once the state drops limits on fish they dont ever raise it ever again. cause of the lower limits serval lakes has suffered fish kills from low o2 levels some smaller lakes are over populated now like the lake i live on. all stunted sunnies. I can understand the importance of mgt of walleyes but someday people will quit fishing due to to low of limits.

Generally stunting is related to high biomass, not enough food, and lack of major predators. Low limits probably not as much of a factor. That being said I do like the 15" minimum idea

Because as a rule its better biologically for any body of water too keep 14" fish and not 18-20" females. I'm all for a statewide slot but i'd rather see it at 14-18" or something like everything between 18-28" must be released with 1 fish over 28". I'd rather see people keep a 14 1/4" walleye than a 19 1/2" walleye that is most likely a female entering prime spawning mode. Its also easier for mother nature too replace a 14" fish than a 19" fish. I mean think about it a second, you want people too put back a 14" walleye so that in 3 years it might be 19" and be a prime spawner rather than just putting the 19" prime spawner back. The deal is you can think a 14" fish is too small too keep but the DNR is going too think about the situation biologically and its a no brainer which is better biologically. Another example. I fish Winnie alot and the top of that slot is 26". I say why 26" and not 28"? I mean a 26 1/2" walleye isnt going too go on anyones wall is it? Its going to go on someones table so why not have too put that fish back too grow too 28" or 30". I asked the DNR up there about it and was told that on Winnie once a fish goes over 26" it has done its thing and is passed prime spawning status. So biologically it doesnt hurt the lake too take a 26 1/2" walleye out of that lake. Just another example of how the DNR is looking at the situation biologically and not looking at through the "trophy fishermans" eyes. Want another example? Mississippi river pool 4. That has a 15" minimum and doesnt have a top end. I say why no top end? All those 23" prime spawners getting kept. Potential future 30" fish being kept. The DNR says the river has such a huge biomass of prime spawners that it doenst hurt too take a 23" fish out of the body of water. All i can think is wow, the river is a great body of water too get a trophy, how much better could it be if all those 20-26" had too be released. But the DNR doesnt look at it this way.

13 - 16" fish really give a lakes forage base a workout. Keeping this size needs to happen in order to keep a successful fishery in check. Now, double-dipping and/or over-harvesting some of our local lakes that get a good bite going is an issue of sportsmanship and needs to be managed and controlled by us through education and by the rules through law enforcement.

How about a state wide slot of 14" to 20" with only one over 20" with a daily possetion limit of 4. grin.gifgrin.gif

SD-style; I like it. grin.gif

I am glad you folks liked my idea of a slot limit. But i have also fished winnie too the last few trips the keeper walleyes has declined abit. mostly caught everything inside the protected slot i was happy to see nice healthy fish going back into a fishery thats very healthly, some locals up there feeling the the smaller fish are getting so much pressure them 14 to 17 " harder to find at times. like i was saying the crappies on our lake a few yrs ago were nice till they all but dissapeared common size now is under 8"

If you are having trouble catching keepers on that lake its just a matter of moving more and more shallow. Thats what i've found anyway. If your on the bars, those fish can just plain be touchy and quite often they will just run too big. The next 2 years on Winnie will rank with the best ever with the year class coming up. The lake was loaded with 12-13" like i've never seen last year. Last time that was the case was about 2002 or 2003 and the next couple years after that were incredible.

i am not sure i will heading back to winnie i may be heading back east to my home state of maine. after the last trip up to winnie the resort owners wife made so nasty comments about me. she said anyone who sits on a lake for more then 10 hrs a day is complete idiot. i took it a hostile comment. so the very last trip i took i shoved a pic of a 31" walleye see what a idiot can do in 5 hrs, she never spoke a nasty word to me ever again so ron and i planing to head for portage lake instead next summer if i can raise 1200.00

My keepers are almost always from 15-18 and next to no fish over 20. For me, they are the best tablefare.

Golly 10 hours? Thats a short day! LOL! I guess im off the chart on the idiot scale. On our trip too Dogtooth Lake Ontario we think nothing of 16 hour days on the water for 7 days.

Most times i go from sunrise till midnite if i dont have anything on the planning board. or any snow removal or lawn cutting.