Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stick in Mud

A fishing report and a general question

13 posts in this topic

Went out to Goodners today for a few hours in the morning and only got two fish. I tried every hook and jig in the box and couldn't get any to bite. I also tried minnows, waxies, and eurolarva--nothing going.

There are fish there, though, so anyone with some skill or secrets could do well. Most of them looked small, though, but it's tough to tell through the camera.

Generally speaking, this winter has been a slow one for me. Is anyone else having a similar winter, or are they just not biting for me???? I've been just about everywhere thus far, and haven't been able to find anything with any size to it. Who knows...maybe I'm losing my touch and should stick to the soft water...heck, maybe I should drop a senko down the hole!

So, what gives? Has the fishing been slow for most people, or am I just missing something?

Carl

Don't feel alone I have been out alot and I will be honest it's been hit or miss for me also. I have iced numerous eyes this winter and some nice panfish but it seems one day the fish are on and the next there not. The bite has been real sporatic but I think it will stabalize soon I hope. I have been searching alot lately and have noticed the active schools are feeding but with short windows. Keep searching and sooner or later you will be rewarded. Today I ripped up a lake near Clearwater that I know holds nice gills. I started my search in the shallows and green weedbeds,pointes bays etc and couldn't find alot in places I thought they would be shocked.gif So I took another approach and looked to the deep mud basins 25-30ft and wham I found the motherload. I sat in the area and enjoyed some excellent fishing as I caught numerous sumo gills one after another!! So the key is to keep the confidence level up and keep looking and sooner or later you will hit the jackpot. grin.gif

I know what you mean its been really slow for me, and from what i hear from others its slow (But can you really trust a fisherman???)I think its just a little early, dont think i even got on the ice till pretty close to this time last year or maybe a little later. My old man said to after this next full moon the bite should turn on so im lookin forward to that. On a better not the ice is sure gettin better, was on pleasant tonight had between 8-10+ everywhere and no slush that i found.

I would look at the barometric pressure long before moon phase when deciding when to go out fishing.

hunter4life,

What about barometric pressure do you look for before you go out? Do you prefer it to be falling, stable, or rising?

Carl

Quote:

hunter4life,

What about barometric pressure do you look for before you go out? Do you prefer it to be falling, stable, or rising?

Carl

Falling is best, stable is OK, and rising is usually not good.

I never really have good fishing if the barometer reads 30+. falling is good, especially when it gets away from 28-30. Its not something that you should base all of your fishing excursions on, but its ususally a good indicator for me.

A full moon is and always will be a good indicator for wildlife in general to be more active, whatever it is, deer/fish just get excited by it. A barometric pressure that is high puts more pressure on a fish the way a plane ride makes your head hurt. A falling barometer is usually a great time to get on the water. By the way, I don't think I've ever seen it below about 29.10, and that was when there were tornados spotted in Sartell.

That's interesting. I've never really worried much about it...Does anyone know why falling is good, rising is bad, etc.?

The lowest pressure ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere at sea level was 26.22". This was associated with hurricane Gilbert in 1988. The standard sea level pressure is 29.92". The U.S. extremes can be considered 30.5" on the high side and 28.5" on the low end. Not sure if those are sea level readings or not. No, I am not a weatherman, I just found some info on the web.

This late fall weather the last few weeks, with the snow and cold,has been thanks to a jet stream pushed to the south of us.This allows the door to be opened to polar high pressures ridges, and cold weather.The barometer has risen and fallen accordingly with the impulses/ripples in the atmoshpere that are passing over us from the NW.Also known as Alberta clippers.Point is, the average pressure readings as of lately have been higher with this polar air influence.This has to affect the fishing somewhat.Do any of you think that lower water level of many lakes in our area is affecting the fish, and possibly the fishing? Just trying to think outside the box here, for a moment.

walleye action was good about a week ago and has slowed some. starting to target crappies and have some good numbers. the fish are not in the same spots they were last year on the lake i am fishing. fishing spots i hit 2 years ago when we had high water in the fall.

rockman yes sir it will low water puts fish in pockets of deeper water. control dams may be the answer? keep the water in the lake a a desired level and when it rains or snow (precepition) all the lakes in the chain level off . the bad part is the fish are more confined ? does not mean they feed better? if and when they do its a big take from the lake my 2cents worth pressure both barometric and fishing all effect the fish? castindad