• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Size of "keepers" ???

Just wondering what everybody else considers to be keeper walleyes? I and the people I fish with will not keep any walleyes less than 15" or anything 20" or larger, unless they are hooked really bad. My thoughts are that the < 15" fish need to grow a bit and the 20" plus fish are the main spawners. Hope others use this mentality so there will be fish to catch in the future. I could have had my limit at times if I would keep everything I caught, but chose not to. I also would not mind if the state would reduce the daily limit to 4. What does everyone think?

I think you pretty much hit it on the head, lunker, IMHO. At least I share a similar philosophy. If I am going to keep them, I take what I can use, and no more. I know the 'eyes on Lake Erie (where I am originally from) needed to grow up before they would spawn, so unless mortally wounded (it happens), my slot is somewhere between 16" and 20", though I will admit to keeping one that turned out to be 23" on a very cold early-ice evening that looked a heck of a lot smaller in the portable (how often do you hear THAT one?).

I had fillets from 5 in the fridge/freezer from our excursions on the ice this year, and cooked them up with my fishing buddy last night. After stuffing ourselves, I still have 2 left to cook up later this week.

If anything, being choosy gives me an excuse to get back out on the ice!

Have fun, be safe.

yeah lunker I operate under a similar practice...my slot (unless the lake has special regs) is between 14 and 20 inches...I'd be fine with them lowering the limit to 4 as well. Even if you're fishing for a family you can get a meal for 'em with 8 fillets!

I think panfish anglers really need to suck it up and realize they don't NEED to take a pile of fish home every time they hit the ice. Just because the fish are biting doesn't mean you need to fill a bucket up. When the pannies are especially vulnerable (LATE ICE) I may catch my limit (and more) but send 'em all back down because I've already had a couple fish dinners that month...no need to get greedy!

Just something to think about. Good thread!