Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hiwayman33

Perchin

5 posts in this topic

My dad and brother are heading up from SD and love to perch fish. Any thoughts on what would be best this Saturday to search for jumbos? SE bays or reefs? Mudflats? Gravel?

Quote:

My dad and brother are heading up from SD and love to perch fish. Any thoughts on what would be best this Saturday to search for jumbos? SE bays or reefs? Mudflats? Gravel?

I would say mudflats... Wow, coming all the way from SD as in South Dakota?? I would rather fish Devil's Lake in ND then Mille Lacs in MN.. ehehe..

To answer your question, I am originally from SE South Dakota and grew up on a McCook lake down by Sioux City Iowa. Moved up here to go to school at the U of M and decided to stay. Family is coming up to spend Christmas with me, my wife and new daughter who turns one month this Friday. Quite honestly we hit the NE SD lakes several times a year in boat or ice. Waubay was awesome this past fall for football sized perch and tons of walleyes. Still, we always have a competition going about what state has better fishing. For numbers of walleyes and size of the perch SD get's the nod. However, my dad and brothers have been emailed the catch and release monsters I caught at Mille Lacs the past five years. For quality of walleyes it can't be beat. At lease that's what I tell them.

I have an aunt and uncle that live on Blue Dog Lake. I know first hand some of the phenominal fishing out there. They have so many lakes to fish, something good is always biting out there, but he hates us minnesotans out there crowding up the lakes. He dosen't think anyone fishes in minnesota anymore. But perchin out there is usually pretty good, I always email them pictures of the quality hogs from mille lacs to dish it back at them. The scenery in minnesota is much better too!!!

early in the year, like now, i have had good luck in 12 to 13 feet of water with dead sticks and small rapala jigs tipped with minnow heads. lots of guys out deep but we seem to do best closer in.