Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stan7600

transporting filets

6 posts in this topic

Is anyone familiar with a new rule regarding labeling cleaned fish as to lake of origin and length of the fish? This would be if the fish came from a lake with a slot restriction. I heard it was in Outdoor News lately but missed it. Thanks, Stan C.

I would not even go out on Upper Red Lake with out the regs in my hand and checking at the water before going out.JMO

The way I understand the regs is that on Red (or LOW) you can only have fillets if you are in the process of cooking them and then you have to have the whole carcas intact (and not frozen) and available for the CO to inspect. Of course eatten fish count against ones daily limit. I haven't heard of any rule about labeling the size of fish once you have left the water and cleaned them.

On LOW fish filleted need to have a patch of skin left to identify walleye from sauger. Any fish without the patch is considered walleye. The resort does this for us, labeling and shrink wrapping any fillets that will be transported. Good luck and hang on. Bill

I asked the DNR and got a very fast response. The new regulation is only for fish packers and took effect 12-10 2007. It sounds like if a resort is a licensed fish packer, as some are on LOW, they will have to include more information on the packed fish as to length and origin. Rules are unchanged for the rest of us except for the eating of fish on the lake as has been discussed. The new regulation reads "when packing fish" so I got confused. Not hard to do. Stan C. tongue.gif

Good to know the new rule is only for fish packers. One less rule to remember!