Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swedishpimple

Lakes around New Ulm

6 posts in this topic

Bemidji guy here stuck in New Ulm over next weekend and Christmas. Just wondering if I should bring my gear with so I can escape the in-laws.

I will go to the DNR's Rec. Compass to find some lake, but I am looking for you input too.

I am use to fishing the big lakes arond here..ie: Winnie...Red..LOW....and some medium sized lakes too. Most lakes I have seen in SW MN look like duck ponds or stock ponds to me. They look panfish and northern rich. Any walleye lakes around??

We call em prairie potholes. grin.gif Just cuz they aren't as huge as URL don't be decieved. Some of these potholes are nice little hunny holes.

I've never fished it, but I'm told Hanska is a nice walleye lake.

Due south of New Ulm is some of the best fishing in the state with Madison, Elysin, Francis, Tetonka.

Aboot 2 hours-ish SW of New Ulm (My neck of the prairie) would be Shetek, Sarah, Round, Okebena. All good walleye lakes. I'm taking a couple days off after Christmas, I hope, to shoot rooster pheasants and catch fish. Maybe I'll see ya on the lake?!?!?!

I can help ya all you need for the SW MN lakes. You might get a tad better response for the New Ulm area by posting in the South Central Fourm.

they are getting alot of nice eyes on hanska evening bite.

First off I would look under South Central forum. But I can give you details of the lakes around New Ulm since I fish most of them! It all depends on what you are looking to fish. If you looking for walleyes I would look at Hanska and Loon lake! If you are looking for panfish I would look at Sleepy Eye, St. James, Lake Crystal, Clear Lake (south of new ulm), and lakes over to the east of Mankato! But like I said I would look at the reports on the SC forum!

Quote:

they are getting alot of nice eyes on hanska evening bite.

Wasted this past sat and sundays there, not even a bite. You talking off Geiger Pt? We were on south side off landing.

Gieger was good acouple of weeks ago, but as soon people start to pile in there it pretty much shuts off! I have been having some luck at Godahl landing, but the crowd is starting and its become a little slower. Going out Friday to find a new spot. A person has to get away from the crowds out there!