Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Looking at a portable GPS

19 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting a new one of these for x-mas. I have the magellan and have always hated it. It doesn't run my maps.

I am thinking about the Lowrance -- what are you guys liking/not ling about what you use?

the H2Oc is a great unit with the lakemaster or navionics chip. There have been complaints about screen visibility in direct sunlight, but most any LCD screen is difficult to read in those condiitions, so it is not an issue unique to the Lowrance. Using rechargeable batteries or the supplied 12V plug-in is the way to go with these units, alkaline batteries do not have a long service life. I love my unit and it is indespensible for use while snowmobiling. I have a ram mount on my sled and the trail maps on an memory card. It is nice, especially when riding on unfamiliar trails. My biggest beef with Lowrance is that the mapping software is better for the garmin units. It is diificult trying to convert data from a non-Lowrance source.

Dead --

Good to hear from you.

They have trail maps on a card for this?

Where do you get them?

How accurate are they?

Cool.

I have the ihunt-c unit and I love it! THe color screen is great and I run the lakemaster MN chip and it is a great combo. I have been trying to get the software same maps onto an SD card to work but have not been able to yet (so if you know anything let me know)! I think that the problem might be with my vista but i am not sure! Other than that I am very happy with the unit!

my chip is like a year old -- does anyone know if the new ones are all that much better?

I have a garmin etrex legend-c with the MN lakemaster map on cd. Its great, very detailed and I can bring up the maps on my laptop for a larger screen to look at. I like this unit over the lowrance h20's because it is smaller/more compact and very user friendly. Although, if you already have a lowrance graph/gps for your boat I think you can use the same map chip for both the boat and some lowrance hand held gps.

I have to agree with dead, I have an h2oc now for two years with the lake master chip and I love it. It's the best toy I ever bought. I think the new maps just have more hg (high graphic) lake maps on them, not sure though.

Is the handheld lowrance like the boat unit as far as how you use it?

I got the H2O non color unit, and it has the same function buttons as their boat units. I couldn't justify the extra $100 for a color unit, plus the battery life is less. The new navionics premium north 08 chip has about every lake you might fish on it, it is for sure on the christmas list cause I'll buy it for myself if no one else does. laugh.gif.

Quote:

Is the handheld lowrance like the boat unit as far as how you use it?

not exactly. hitman, what are you doing tomorrow afternoon? If you say work, that's not the answer I was looking for. I can give you a tutorial on the ice if you're interested.

Quote:

I got the H2O non color unit, and it has the same function buttons as their boat units. I couldn't justify the extra $100 for a color unit, plus the battery life is less.

The H2O has lower resolution and 4 less WAAS channels than the H2Oc.

Here's the comparison: The H2O has a 3" display with 240x180 resolution and a precision 12-parallel channel GPS+WAAS receiver. The H2Oc has a slightly smaller 2.83" screen but a 320x240 resolution and a precision 16-channel GPS+WAAS receiver. To me that's worth the extra money.

H20C with a Lakemaster chip is what I ended up going with and I've been happy with it so far. If you do a little searching around online you can get the gps along with the chip for around $300 total. Good Luck!

Dead --

Quit milking the big females for the DNR and start working at a sports store -- you have me sold!

thanks

Hit

yeah the color unit H2O really sucks in the sun. If you are going to be out riding sled in the middle of the day you DO NOT want the COLORED one you won't be able to see it bro! I have 4 buddy will H2Oc and they are always trying to switch thiers out with mine(i have the non-color H2O) when we are out fishing or sled. Yeah its WAAS it better but you have to be able to see what you're doing unless you like the dark. I dont know, think about it.

Dead do you ever have problems seeing yours in the day time?

Come on dude, don't be so technical. I just need it to get close to my spot, after that I'll find the spot on the spot. A chip will be a nice addition so I can find some new areas to fish. Hit, the functions on the Lowrance handhelds are the same as the boat graphs. If you are proficient with your boats gps, it is the same on the handhelds so there is little tutorial needed. Dead, give me a holler, I got the permanent out tonight and put 10 slabs on the ice after dark. Heading out again tomorrow with the kids if you want to join, just bring your sled to get out.

thanks, guys.

Hitamn

Quote:

Dead do you ever have problems seeing yours in the day time?

I usually can see it pretty decent. I haven't used it much trail riding when its been sunny out, since it is usually cloudy and snowing then. If you wear polarized glasses, the display pops out at you since there is minimal glare. I think if anything, the vibration of the unit on the sled makes it harder to read, than the sunlight. When I'm looking for my fishing spot while riding the sled, the bumpy ice can make it diificult to read without having to stop. I'm not sure if there's any better option, but this is when you are trying to fine tune in on the spot.

Just got one yesterday -- I love it. It is really cool. Just wished it had a deal on it that made fish bite on my hook. smirk.gif

hit, buy those plastic screen protectors that they sell for PDAs, cell phones, PSPs, etc. Put it on the screen of your H2O so it doesn't get scuffed. it won't affect the screen visibility.