Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
palisade1kid

Working the water column

19 posts in this topic

Since we are talking about jig fishing I thought I'd say a bit about what I'm doing out there.......

When working a jig though the water column a loop knot will enable a jig to dance more naturally without the line impeding it's action.

All line will create a certain amount of resistance if secured to the eyelet.therefor to get more action from your lure a loop knot works great.

It's actually part of a system. The bigger picture

is that I'll use a flasher to read the whole water column.

The sonar will read a fish as it swims into the sonar cone.

I'll lower or raise my offering to where it is coming in at.Once it is dead center of the cone or directly below me I'll lift my bait trying to trigger it's strike sense.

Depending on the mood of the fish it will raise up 1-5 foot after my bait and swallow it.

I have a spring bobber mounted to my rod which will read even the lightest hit and then I'm rearing.

The flasher will not only show me the depth ,but are there fish under me and how aggressive they are.

For instance on Fri. with the barometer over 30 they were very negative. They came through at the bottom and would only lift 2-3 feet before they would stop and go no higher.

That's what I call the ceiling.Once I determined their ceiling I would slowly lift them to the ceiling and wait for them to hit my jig.

Sat. on the other hand was much different.

The fish were stacked up to 6 feet from the bottom.

They gave chase much faster and hit quicker.

Checking the barometer I saw it was still high ,but it was dropping which triggered a better bite.

As a general rule I'll up size when they are aggressive and downsize when the mood is neutral to negative.

In my opinion this is a dealy tactic.

When I 1st started to fish with my Vexilar I did not catch many fish,mostly because I just diddled my offering right above the fish.

I never triggered the strike sense that the fish have.

Until I figured out that they react alot like cats and that I had to pull it away from them

before they gave chase .I did not catch much unless the fish were very aggresive.

So put some distance between your bait and the fish.You'll start to see a pattern develope.

I still catch myself fishing the fish the same way every once in awhile.

Remember the mood can change from day to day ,so figure out the ceiling 1st ,then draw them up to the ceiling and be ready for the hit.

Oh, 1 more thing.The fish that come through higher are usually the ones looking to feed.

So if there's a few fish that come into your sonar ,work the top fish 1st

Finding the ceiling is so important for working the water column.

Getting that fish to strike is the trick.

Working a bait above the fish by drawing your bait away will trigger the strike if it's got an inclination of feeding.

The closer to the ceiling you'll get the more the fish thinks it's got to strike.

The further from the ceiling you are the more time the fish thinks it has.

You'll see them eye balling your bait without making it's move.

I hear guy's saying that all of the time.They eyeball it ,but will not hit.

Draw it away and get smaller and you'll see your action pick up.

I guarentee it!

This system works ,I'll catch thousands of fish every winter .On aggresive days over suspended fish you'll catch 50 fish in 60 minutes.

Great post CK!

now that's good info smile.gif 2 things you might want to consider would be using the smallest diameter line possible (within reason) for the fish you're going after and to take the kinks/coil out of the line so that the offering hangs straight and the strike is detected when the fish sucks in the lure.

I would have to say you are probably the most helpful person on this site. Just thought i would give you thanks. Great info!

Quote:

now that's good info
smile.gif
2 things you might want to consider would be using the smallest diameter line possible (within reason) for the fish you're going after and to take the kinks/coil out of the line so that the offering hangs straight and the strike is detected when the fish sucks in the lure.

You are so on the money.It's hard to put everything down on one post.It comes a bit at a time.

Having light line will let the small bait fall faster than thicker line.

Also thicker line seems to have more memory when it gets cold and it will act like a spring or shock absorber.

Imagine 20-30 feet of line coiled.

You may never see the hit with the coils soaking up the hit.

Straight line telegraphs the hit to your spring immeadiately.

Having a rod that is not to stiff yet stiff enough so that you can hold it still will help.

To stiff of a rod will put too much force on the hook causing it to come loose.

Setting your drag so that once the hook drives home it will break loose is important too ,especially if they are hitting light.

Some hooksets will only have a small bit of skin and pulling too hard will loose your fish.

I know there's more to talk about ,but the ole brain is needing some upload time.

Quote:

I would have to say you are probably the most helpful person on this site. Just thought i would give you thanks. Great info!

Geeze.....thanks Wild.

Hopefully my son will fish with me over xmas and we can get some video of all of this we are talking about.

CK- thanks for all the great posts! I'm curious as to what kind of loop knot you tie. Maybe you could do a video of it? The only one that I know how to do isn't very strong.

Thanks Todd,I'll add 1 more pass through which seems to help.

I'll also retie several times in a day.

With 4 test it's no biggy although you'll wat to find line under .006 diameter.

CK -

When you downsize to such small jigs (1/64, 1/80), do you have any trouble picking up jigs on sonar?

Is there ever a time when you find you have better luck tipping your jigs with meat or do you have to best luck without live bait?

What do you use to measure the barometic pressure? You seem to place a lot a emphasize on this in your fishing discussions?

Thanks again for all of your help.

I've been using a Vexilar for about 8 years now.I have 2.

Anyway in about 25 -30 FOW I have my gain set to 2.5-3 and I'll see it just fine.

Remember you want the gain low enough to see the jig in green.

My new issue is that with all of the guys fishing the area I'm in I'll have mega interference.

I am switching to a Marcum.

No problem having a clear screen and getting shut down to where I'll have to move.

When I'm by myself or if I can put 20 yard between me & someone else with a flasher the screen is super clear with my Vex.

As to adding meat.

99% of the time I'm meatless unless it's a trip up to URL or LOW. Then I'll run a second hole with meat.

The whole idea is downsizing and adding meat will make the presentation bigger.

If you think about how much we upsize in the summer,it's because the fish are agressive.There's plenty of oxygen in the water.

As the water gets cooler we start to get smaller.

Now we have ice over the water and being it's snow covered the plants are not growing.

Therefore the O2 is not being made as a byproduct of photosynthesis,

This slows them down even more.

Then consider barometric pressure.This is another attribute

that will have an effect on the mood of the fish.

The 1st thing I'll do every morning before going out the door is look at yahoo weather to see what the pressure is at.

That knowledge will indicate how I should start out.

I'll know if I can go big or should I start smaller and how far I'll be able to lift.

The other day the pressure was at 29.6,so I thought the fish would be coming through higher and would be more aggresive.Guess what?They were.The next day the barometer was pegged over 30 ,like 30.33 and I thought it was going to be a tough day and sure a heck it was.

I had to drop to an 80th and the fish would come through just off of the bottom of the lake and would only lift 2 foot max.They also rose slow.

Compared to rifling up 6 foot off of the bottom like the day before.

Watch the pressure and take a mental note on the days fishing.You'll start to notice this trend.

what type of a lift do you use to trigger the strike? by that I mean, how fast or slow do you raise the jig to the "ceiling?" Thank you for all the great info! This is all helping me to understand fishing better and hopefully helping me to catch more fish. I figure that if I am going to spend time fishing, I might as well try to catch something as well!

How fast and how far all depends on the fishes aggression level.

Just give your reel a crank and pause for 5 seconds,then give it another crank.If you have gone 5 cranks and the fish did not make it's break ,go back to it and slow down some and do not lift as high.

Your gonna have to see for yourself ,but pay attention to what your doing and when something works.Repeat it.

A note.Once you get the fish rising ....do not lower your offering.

Since they feed up ,you dropping your bait will freeze the fish.It wants to stay below the food source and by dropping it thinks the food is sinking.

Also if it lifts and does not hit.

It lifting told you it wants to feed,but you messed up somewhere.

Slow down ,do not lift as high on the next one.Change colors, drop in size.

There's something that just was not right.Once you know what colors work in what lakes ,then it's usually just size changes.

Figure that thing out and it's fish on!

Quote:

I am switching to a Marcum.

What? What model are you looking at? Tony has the LX-5 and it almost has to much power.

I'm getting a LX-3 to start.

I'll also be getting the 5 in another month or 2.

I need several for the guys that do not have them.

I think I am going to spring for an LX-3. I have heard the LX-5 is over kill (2000 watts) and the guys who have owned the LX-3 do not want to upgrade. The guys in the market for a new flash (Coming from a silent sixty) go with the LX-5, because it the latest and greatest.

I sure love my Eagle silent sixty though. I had it tweeked up at the Anoka fish elec. store and is juts a sgood as a Fl-8, with out color.

CK,

Great thread by the way.

yesterday late afternoon we had a chance to get out.

Those slabs were pinned to the bottom.

You could get them to seperate from the bottom about a strong foot.

Slow pulling away and not much movement was wanted.

I was perplexed with the pressure at 29.8 ,but it was steady.

I'd have thought they'd be more active.

I had more fish come up and stop at my backdoor or cover to not hit.

Rick had the touch.He would just lift ever so slowly.

He said the spring barely moved during the hit.

08iceseason052.jpg

CK, wanna play with an LX5 this weekend? I was up last weekend and fished Gun, caught a limit of crappie, boy were they hitting light. A couple buddies and I are headed up this weekend.... I'd love to meet you, and you could play w/ my Marcum.

Shawn

You know I have family with the last name of Radtke.

Call me 218-845-8801

Stop by Palisade.Oh I love my new Marcum LX3!