Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Level3

On-Board Battery Charger recommendation

7 posts in this topic

I need some advice, and I want to try to do this right the first time:

Anyone have a good brand they would recommend for an on-board battery charger (or brands to stay away from)?

Also, I have 3 batteries, 2 for trolling motor and 1 starting battery, would you recommend a 3 bank or 2 bank charger?

I would reccomend a dual pro triple bank charger made by charging systems international. Hands down one of the best chargers out there with some great customer service to back it up if there is an issue.

If you can afford a 3 bank charger I'd go that route - for me it's nice to have the peace of mind knowing my starting battery is also fully charged.

marine_man

I would recommend looking into the level of "intelligence" that they have. I have a Guest 3 bank unit (I'm overall indifferent) and know that they recommend plugging it in in the fall and keeping it plugged in all winter since they won't overcharge the batteries. It has been nice and I've done it for a number of years now without a problem with the batteries.

Definately get a 3-bank charger if you have 3 batteries. I've had 4 of them, don't remember all the brands, haven't had a problem with any of them. I just try to leave the compartment with the batteries and the charger open when charging to allow heat and gasses to disipate.

Not to get off the main topic here, but can I set up an on board charger in my fish house and charge my 2 batteries with a generator without any problems

i'm with marine man on this! grin.gif great customer service too!

Quote:

I would recommend looking into the level of "intelligence" that they have.

I believe most "automatic" battery chargers are set up this way...

marine_man