Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

Fish Lake Maple Grove

18 posts in this topic

Need some ice conditions on fish lake or any other lakes around maple grove. Thanks

A friend said he caught a few crappies out there this weekend, but I'v e been there twice and caught nothing. confused.gif

Any clue on what the ice was like how thick?

HE said it was about 6-8 inches.

Sounds good i should be heading down there christmas eve for the first time. Any tips places to stay away from like springs or anything like that? Ill probalby head out from the public access i think its opposite from weaver lake road.

A neighbor of mine said he caught a few pike last weekend. He measured 7 inches in that first bay out from the access. Says he tried for crappies too but no luck.

I just got back from college and plan on hittin Fish hard the next few days, I haven't been out yet this year, but usually the north end (weaver lake side) is the spot to watch out for when it comes to thin ice. I'll give an ice report as soon as I get a chance to get out.

Any tips on places to go? Not askin for hotspots or any of that but where would be a smart place to go on the lake?

right now u can basically can pic any weedline and set tip-ups for northerns and have pretty good success. I'd say 9-12 feet deep would be about right. The crappies can be quite tricky to find, There are a few spots I hit early, but nothing that is 100%. They could be on the weedline, or already suspending in the baisins. I've fished this lake for 15 yrs, and have yet to find a constant every year producer of decent crappies, but if a guy searches, he can be quite suprised with what he finds.

Thanks for all the help, im gonna go out christmas eve before im forced to go to my girlfriends family party so im gonna try and get some good fishing in before hand. Thanks again and let me know what the ice is like.

Just got back from Fish. Ice looks real good, and is in good shape for making lots more. It seemed consistent, with me finding anywhere from 7 1/2 to 9 1/2 inches. Of those inches, probably the first inch and a 1/2 was frozen slush. There's very little snow on the lake, a good thing.

As for the fishing, I had to crank a lot of holes. definately bringing the gas auger next time. I struggled through about 35 holes, and finally found the crappies. Caught 10, all around 8 inches, one that was 9.5. They were extrememly finicky.

Been years since I fished Fish, but great report. cool.gif

Great report, thanks for all the great help, cant wait to get out on monday.

how would you get there coming from brooklyn park 694-brooklyn blvd.

I've never ice fished Fish Lake, but I grew up around there. Take 694 West around to 494 south and exit on Bass Lake Rd. Go west on Bass Lake Rd for I think a couple miles. You should see a small sign for Fish Lake Regional Park.

I can't recall exactly how far off 494 it is, but you could mapquest it. If you hit West Fish Lake Rd, you've gone to far. Good luck and post a report!

Hey fishlake where do you go to school?

North Dakota State. I love it up there. There's not too many colleges where u can go shoot your limit of Geese, Ducks and Roosters pretty much any day of the fall. The only problem with me, is that the school has improved my hunting skills much more than my fishing. The closest decent lakes up there are about a 45 min drive. Oh well, I guess I've got a chance to catch some monster Cats in town, something different.

Ya the thin ice has has typically always been on the northend where it is narrow. Guys used to go through on their sleds almost every other year in the late 80's. I've tried ice fishing fish lake a few times with no luck. Always went down to Eagle after you can drive on it.