Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Donk

Osakis Ice and people

2 posts in this topic

Went to Osakis yesterday, and was mildly shocked to see some big permanents on the North end... Ok, I thought, getting to that time of year, sure. Then, when a minivan and a 1/2 ton truck whizzed by me at the access, I stood there wide eyed and thought, must be PLENTY of ice! Walked out and started drilling holes, First one, 10 inches, next, 12 inches, next in a snowy area, 7 INCHES . Then, after I started fishing, a 3/4 ton ford went crusing out! The water was splashing in my hole as he was still 50 yards away... I don't care if people look at the DNR's chart, but can't common sense take over and once you do some checking, get the *&^# off the ice??? I started thinking about what I would have to start doing once one of these hardheads went through. I ended up just going to another part of the lake, partly because the fishing was junk, and partly because I was worried for other people and was getting tired of it. I guess I just wanted to let ya'll know if you hear of someone going through the ice around there not to be suprised, and get out there and check the ice before you drive on it for pete's sake!!! confused.gif

I think one of the most dangerous aspects of early ice is its unpredictable thickness. What you describe is more common than people realize. Check the ice often. It can be 12" in one area and just a few feet away be less than 4" with or without snow. Later in the year it tends to even out a bit more but when ice is still forming it can be heaving, separating, and still be open or very recently frozen in some areas.

Bob