Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhs91

Pump shotguns in cold weather

9 posts in this topic

The last 2 times I have been hunting in cold weather, 5 above or colder with wicked winds 20-30 mph, my pump is essentially reduced to a single shot. I can still pump it, but it is extremely difficult. Any suggestions for lubricants?

Thanks,

BHS

I use LPS-1 and have never had a problem with guns in cold weather. You want a real light dry lube so it doesn't gum up. Don't use any of the gun oils.

Sounds good! What is LPS-1 and where can I get it.

BHS

When it is very cold out I rum all my guns bone dry.(no lube at all). I was told to do it by a gunsmith friend of mine. Seems to work, Try it>

Its a spray lube from most good hardware stores and a few sporting goods stores.

Dry does work too, I don't disagree with that, but you have to watch a little for moisture with NOTHING on it. Condensation and what not can get to be a problem for rusting without any protectant/lube...

Get ya some Break Free. It don't take much...

I'm with maxima, in brutally cold weather just about every type of lubricant will freeze at some point. I wipe my gun free of oil before heading out and it solves the problem.

Another vote for none. I wipe my gun with oil after each hunt, and wipe it clean before the next; all year, not just cold weather.

Whoaru, I got some Break Free on advice of some gunsmiths, and it is fantastic. Don't need much, and it is so thin and lubey it works great. Good at very low below freezing temps.