Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobS_Rogers

Independence Ice Conditions

6 posts in this topic

Went out to Independence on Sunday to judge the ice and thought I would pass along what I found. I punched about 6 holes through with my spud (didn't feel like dragging out the auger). I found anywhere from 6-10" of good ice on the main lake. There was some frozen slush on the top but not more then 1" from what I saw. The one place to watch out for is near the boat ramp. The ice was pretty tore up from early wheeler use and there are some very thin spots. I found one spot that was not more then 1.5-2" and thought for a second that I was going to break through. BE CAREFUL AROUND THE RAMP. But the ice looked good once you were out 50 or so yards.

There were quite a few people out in portables (18-20) and even a couple of small perms. The people that I talked to were not having much luck. I am hoping to get out next weekend and try my luck. Anybody have a fish report from over the weekend?

Bob S.

Was out on Independece most of Sunday, didn't bring the shack with thought we would check out a few spots. Ice conditions ranged 5-10 inches pretty solid stuff.

The word on the lake was that it was pretty slow everywhere. There were quite a few portables and a couple smaller permanents.

Only managed to get a couple small perch 5" and a couple small Walleyes mayber 9-11 inches. Not too bad for the 1st trip of the year.

I was out last sunday, and punched 20 holes. Overall 6 - 7" of ice, the action varied greatly from hole to hole, but overall caught a bunch of dink perch.

Spoke with a couple of other guys and they confirmed it was slow as well.

Is there any bait shop near Independence? I had to pick up bait in Wayzata.

Bigminnow

olson on hwy 12 just 5 min. away its a little store nice and close

Thanks Hardwater.....I will give Olson's a try.

Bigminnow

if your looking for a partner let me know im thinking about go tomorrow morning