Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FISHINGURU

Lake Pepin?

13 posts in this topic

anyone fishing on lake pepin at all? just wondering if anyone has an ice/fishing report for pepin? i've never ice fished it before and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where a guy could give it a shot sometime?

thanks

Trailer park point is a popular place to ice fish. It is one of the few place where walleye/sauger congrigate during the cold weather. Crappies are suspended and the saugers are on the bottom. On that note, I had terrible luck on Sunday. One tiny sauger, with many fishing following it off the bottom but no takers. If you find the right setup you may have better luck than I.

Let us know how it goes.

hey thanks for the pointers dznuts...how much ice was out there on sunday? do you know what the depth range is off the point?

i'm not sure where trailer park point is but i'm sure i can find it...i'll probably give her a go this weekend.

If were to guess, I'd say 8". Plenty enough for a sled or wheeler. Not sure what the depth through out the drop off is. I was in about 22'. Don't know if that was the deeper part or not.

TPP is on the north side of the harbors in town. Say if you were driving south into LC and you were to look left at the lake, once you hit the houses before the Ford dealership, turn left. And follow that street(that run along the lake) out to the point. You will be able to see shacks from the highway.

Hope that makes sense... Prolly not tho. smirk.gif

nice...yeah that makes sense...how far of a walk is it to set up from where ya park? i'll be draggin out a portable,auger, ect, so hopefully it isn't to far from the parking spots.

went out yesterday and caught a bunch of tiny walleye and sauger...i'm talkin like 6-10 inch tiny lol...seen a bunch of fish suspended in the 9-12 ft range but no takers on those.

is there ever any fish with size or just little dinks?

You can get a bunch of nice fish out of that area. There are years where they seem to congregate there all winter. And some years...only little fish. I haven't been there yet this winter, but most winters put in 20+ days on the river ice fishing. I rarely fish TPP because everyone fishes there. It is fun for me and my buddy to go searching. We have found some great spots this way.

Also, TPP will get out to 28+ feet. Get out far enough and there is a 32' hole. Usually, we hit from 23-27' as our best spots out there.

Those suspended fish may have been sheepies. More than likely they were. That or shad. If they were big on the locator- sheepies and small- shad.

Good luck and JIG JIG JIG!!

yeah i like to explore and get away from crowds myself...there was already garbage and dead carp all over on the ice....i don't like that kind of stuff when i'm fishin it's a big eye sore...it isn't hard to pick up quick after yourself....i actually found some 34 ft of water out there.

How about the bay up the lake farther just below Frontenac? That used to be good up there.

are you talking about hok-si-la bay or farther up then that? how can a guy fish out on central point? any place a guy can park out there?

Central point is out from Watermans I don't fish that spot but I,m sure there must be a place to park. The point up the lake I was talking about is off of the Florence township landing, If you take the first turn going into old Frontenac coming from Lake City you'll come to a road that gos down the hill to the landing. There will be some perms out there.

Back in the mid 80s the spot willowcat is talking about was great to fish. At the time it was called Methodist Campus. We used to catch 12-30 sandpike/walleyes a day out there between 2 or 3 of us, some of them really nice sized, and all the other shacks had good action too. There were 20 or 30 perms out there for a few winters, and we had some bang-up parties on the ice there too.

The best party we ever had, back in 1989 or so, we moved two shacks about 40 feet apart, put a huge tarp up between them for a windbreak, built a nice bonfire right on the ice and roasted hot dogs and hamburgers. The food was washed down with a keg or two of beer. Must have been 50 or 60 people at that party. Those were the days!

Since Prairie Island nuclear plant began dumping their superheated water into the river in 1990 or so, that spot is no good for some reason. A couple of the locals will still venture out and give it a try, but by and large no one fishes there anymore compared to how it used to be.

I went too the Lake City sportsmans clubs ice fishing tourney a couple years ago. After the contest we went too the sportsmans club and they had pictures from way back when. Pictures of the contests back then. The pictures of all the walleyes caught out on pepin was unreal. It would be fun too have been able too see pepin like that in the winter.