Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mthunter

98 polaris xlt classic won't start

4 posts in this topic

The sled started and ran fine this morning when I was loading it on the trailer. The choke lever did break off when I unchoked the sled but it ran fine anyway while loading. A couple hours later at the trail head the sled wouldn't start. Used a needle nose to choke it and still wouldn't start. Eventually I'm sure it flooded out, head back home and it still won't go. Could a broken choke lever cause this? Could the kill switch have crapped out on me? Any ideas?

First off, replace the lever and try it again. A broken lever will make it difficult to choke it effectively and could cause flooding. Pull a spark plug boot, shove a nail in it, have 'someone' hold the nail, and pull it over. If the nail acheives orbit, the kill switch is fine. Have you checked the 'cold start circuit' on the carbs lately? Follow the choke cable down to the tops of the carbs. Check a repair manual and clean them. Today's gas breaks down and gums the cold start jets. It's a good idea to re-adjust the cables each year.

TC

The last time I saw a choke lever break off it was on the same model sled. Problem was the choke on one carb was stuck in the on position so it flooded out that cylinder and wouldn't start again. What we did, since it had to be replaced anyway, was to cut the cable housing and remove the choke plunger on that carb and clean it up so it would close. The bore was pretty corroded so it took some to clean it up well enough to work smoothly again. This may or may not be the case for you but make sure each one moves freely before installing the new cable.

Threw in a new choke control kit, and she fired right up. Thanks for the input guys.