Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Turk

Croix ice fishing

Turk

An earlier question sparked this post. The question was about driving on the St. Croix for ice fishing. There are two predominate areas where people drive their vehicles on the St. Croix. One is the Bayport area and the other is near Prescott (on the St. Croix though), north of Point Douglas. Here I'll talk about the Bayport area.

The Bayport area will traditionally see vehicles drive on from the Andersen ice bridge, as it is locally named. This bridge in fact is an ice road (frozen river) connecting Minnesota to Wisconsin. This plowed road runs from Bayport to North Hudson. Then from here, the vehicles will drive as far north as the highline point. To the south they will drive to approximately where the A frame (On WI side) is. Most of the safe driving is on the Wisconsin side. So between the A frame and the Highline is where you’ll see most people. In my opinion the further you go north and south of this area that I have outlined, the more dangerous the ice becomes.

The Bayport area is the “most” safe, and of course there are no guarantees. With that said this area contains a large area of open water on the Minnesota side, the opening is created by the NSP power plant.

Most of the fishing is done over the soft basin where the crappies roam. The large point “the cabana”, across from the Bayport Beach attracts the most attention from anglers. This area will be the largest community hole as permanent shacks are dragged on the ice. The second largest community area will be just south of the high lines, again anglers going for crappie. After these two areas you’ll see trucks scattered across the middle of the river here and there.

Good luck fishing and if you drive your vehicle on right now, you are flat out crazy. Follow DNR guidelines for ice thickness regarding vehicles.

Turk

Orlip

Good info. Thanks.

blueroof

Turk, thanks for the priceless info... Lb

Dale Rueber

Excellent information, thanks. Since Prescott is closer to my home I would be really interested in some information for the area North of Point Douglas. I have stopped at the park on the MN side by Prescott but I have not seen anybody out on the ice there. I did not venture out because if I don't see others out there I usually assume there is a reason (thin ice, springs, no fish...) I used to drive on the ice but now it just really creeps me out. Is there a place where vehicles can be parked near the ice? Is there a spot where other ice fisherman congegrate?

Dale

john.wells

Is Hubbs Point still accessible? I would have thought all those townhome folks would have put that spot to rest by now.

Turk

It is still accessible, as it should be.

harvey lee

Thanks for the great report Turk. smile.gif