Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turk

Croix ice fishing

7 posts in this topic

An earlier question sparked this post. The question was about driving on the St. Croix for ice fishing. There are two predominate areas where people drive their vehicles on the St. Croix. One is the Bayport area and the other is near Prescott (on the St. Croix though), north of Point Douglas. Here I'll talk about the Bayport area.

The Bayport area will traditionally see vehicles drive on from the Andersen ice bridge, as it is locally named. This bridge in fact is an ice road (frozen river) connecting Minnesota to Wisconsin. This plowed road runs from Bayport to North Hudson. Then from here, the vehicles will drive as far north as the highline point. To the south they will drive to approximately where the A frame (On WI side) is. Most of the safe driving is on the Wisconsin side. So between the A frame and the Highline is where you’ll see most people. In my opinion the further you go north and south of this area that I have outlined, the more dangerous the ice becomes.

The Bayport area is the “most” safe, and of course there are no guarantees. With that said this area contains a large area of open water on the Minnesota side, the opening is created by the NSP power plant.

Most of the fishing is done over the soft basin where the crappies roam. The large point “the cabana”, across from the Bayport Beach attracts the most attention from anglers. This area will be the largest community hole as permanent shacks are dragged on the ice. The second largest community area will be just south of the high lines, again anglers going for crappie. After these two areas you’ll see trucks scattered across the middle of the river here and there.

Good luck fishing and if you drive your vehicle on right now, you are flat out crazy. Follow DNR guidelines for ice thickness regarding vehicles.

Turk

Good info. Thanks.

Turk, thanks for the priceless info... Lb

Excellent information, thanks. Since Prescott is closer to my home I would be really interested in some information for the area North of Point Douglas. I have stopped at the park on the MN side by Prescott but I have not seen anybody out on the ice there. I did not venture out because if I don't see others out there I usually assume there is a reason (thin ice, springs, no fish...) I used to drive on the ice but now it just really creeps me out. Is there a place where vehicles can be parked near the ice? Is there a spot where other ice fisherman congegrate?

Dale

Is Hubbs Point still accessible? I would have thought all those townhome folks would have put that spot to rest by now.

It is still accessible, as it should be.

Thanks for the great report Turk. smile.gif