• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just thought I would post a reminder on here to make sure you have your fishing license and shelter license in your POSSESSION at all times. I almost got busted last night! I was in a hurry leaving the house yesterday afternoon and forgot to grab my wallet. Usually, I always bring it with me fishing. Well, last night the game warden stopped by my shack and sure enough...wallet sitting on kitchen table at home shocked.gif. Well, he saw that my wheeler and house were licensed and he believed I indeed had a fishing license, so he let me off with a written warning. He then proceeded to tell me that I could have gotten a fine of over $100 for not having it in posession and that 2 fines of such nature would mean revocation of fishing privelidges!

So make sure you have your license on you at all times. Also, make sure your snowmobile and 4-wheelers are current! You may need to purchase a trail sticker also, depending on what lake you are fishing!

Lesson learned for me!

Justin

I always thought the DNR needs to get a portable hand held computer of some sort, like UPS maybe, that will tel them on site if you indeed have a license to fish, hunt, wheeler, boat etc. etc.

No reason why if a guy accidently forgets his wallet at home (We all have done it) he should get a $100 ticket. I do believe you have up to 48 hours to provide proof that you have a license. Not including weekends if I remember correctly.

I pay for a copy and keep it in my boat in the summer and truck in the winter. Reminds me to take it out of the boat now. wink.gif

yeah I forgot to put my ID on my portable early one season....cost me $65 if I remember right. now they make the fishhouse license rules way confusing...and they complain about not having any money.

Hey Northlander,

The officer made it absolutely clear to me last night that it has to be in your possession at all times-no exceptions. Failure to not have it in your hand for inspection could be a $100 fine right on the spot. There is no 48 hours to provide proof!! I just got lucky last night- It could have cost me!!! I agree with you- In this day and age of technology, they should be able to look it up right on the spot, but then again it is our responsibility to carry it at all times.

Justin

Justin, probably it was the same fella that check me on Shag two winters ago. It was early ice and I'd left my license in my open water tackle box. He checked me and, when I couldn't find my license as I searched all through my stuff, he noted that the shelter was licensed, the sled was licensed and with a trail sticker, that I still had my deer hunting license and registration for boat and canoe and said he doubted very much a guy like me who had all those licenses would fish without being licensed, and he let me go.

Steve,

This was a real young guy with blonde hair and kinda skinny and tall. Never seen this dude before.

Still up for fishing later this week?

Let me know!

Justin

I could be wrong, but I beleive the DNR did away with the shelter licenses didn't they? I know you haev to have your drivers license on the shelter or some form of ID. We got a memo at Gander and I will check when I go to work tonight, but I do not beleive that youneed to have a shelter tag anymore.

TL, you no longer need a shelter permit as long as your shelter is attended, but you do need ID on it. If you'll note in my post, I was talking about an incident a couple years ago. Justin's house is a permanent and sits on the ice unattended, so it does need a permit.

Justin, yep, still game. Hmmm, where should we buy our bait? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

This happened to us last year, stopped us and one of us did not have his lic with him. This officer had these self addresed envelopes for his office all you had to do is send him your lic. within 48 hours and he would not issue the fine, he then mailed your lic back you. It only took 3 days for everything. He did give us a warning ticket for no lic but the warning lic was also a fishing lic good for 48 hours

Loadmaster,

Each officer may handle the situation a little different from the next. Some may be prepared for anglers not having their license on them while others are ready for enforcement action. Either way, best thing to do is be prepared to show your license anytime on the water or in the field. I know for myself, I will be making sure I have it with me all the time now and I won't be taking any chances. I just wanted everyone to know that officers can and will give you a ticket if you don't have it in your posession.

I also think it is pretty dang steep paying a $100+ dollar fine for forgetting it at home. Hey, we are all human right? Everybody is going to forget to pack their license along every now and then.

Justin

Steve,

Well, I guess that depends if we are going fishing between the hours of 9 am- 2pm!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Justin

Another thing to think of. If you are married, and your wife has a different last name, you need your marriage lic. also. My wife is a teacher, kept her maiden name for school. DNR guys made show marriage lic. Even though we have a combo lic.

That is just about the most utterly rediculous thing I have ever heard!!!!! Who is going to carry their marriage license around fishing???? That thing should belong in your safe deposit box at the bank not in your boat! Sheesh!!!!

I think the DNR is going a bit too far on that demand.

Justin

jiggnjim,

I find that very hard to believe that you must produce a marriage license if your wife kept her maiden name.

When we sell a combo license, I have never asked for any proof of marriage, nor do I think an ELS dealer needs to by law.(I may be wrong)

I will check this out tomorrow and get back to the forum.

Did a warden check you, or a DNR employee doing a creel census???

I have a quick question. I just bought a portable so do i need any kind of license for it or just a identification tag? I heard that they changed it so that portables do not need a licenses.

stfcatfish,

That's what I thought the regs were and I confirmed them at work tonight. I didn't realize JustinG's house was a permanent, so that solves the confusion right there.

I've heard from more then one guy that when they were asked for thier fishing lisc. That the C.O. has also asked to see the women's Drivers Lisc. It seems that some guys like to take other women out in thier boat and figure they are covered because they have a combo lisc.

The co-worker that this happened to... His wife's reply to the C.O. was is you find another women in this boat with my husband feel free to take the boat. I heard the C.O.'s reply to his wife was don't worry about that you'll be getting the boat!!! grin.gif

It seems some guys can't even be trusted while fishing. Go figure shocked.gif

jigginjim,

Checked with law enforcement in St. Paul today, a Major Spencer??

No way that you need to produce a marriage license to prove a combo license is valid when you are fishing.

Driver's licenses can be asked for.

There are cases where a wife or husband work in a different city and have two apartments.

This would make the DL check useless if two different addresses are on them.

Any warden pursuing this is splitting hairs.

Unless he has checked you out many times, and you were with different women. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

This be the case, plead guilty, take the jail time, and try to get in the wittness protection program so THEY will be unable to find, and kill you once you get out! cool.gif