Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Red Miller

Handheld Mapping GPS

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, I know I dont post much on the boards but all the information is awesome and very much appreciated. I was looking at a procuring a handheld mapping gps and turning the old Magellan 315 out to pasture. Being a MN fisherman, I was eyeballing the Lowrance iFinder with the Navionics map software. Any opinions would be great. Im trying not to break the bank here. Thanks guys (and gals)

I just helped someon else with the same process. My input to you is to make a list of the lakes you fish most and then choose your mapping chip against that list. This then becomes a Navionics versus Lakemaster analysis, and there are some differences between them in the lakes that they have in high definition (1-3 foot contours) versus the old DNR lake depth data (that is largely inaccurate). Choose from that list and the most lakes that you frequent in high def.

Most people choose the H20 model and most lean towards the color unit. I personally chose the black and white model and haven't regretted it. There is about $100 difference between the two, and that $100 can buy a Lakemaster chip.

The H2O is the hottest handheld on the market for anglers. B and W or color, either one you will be happy with. Go with the Lakemaster chip it is by far the best available if you spend most of your time in MN.

Jason Erlandson

I've used both map chips quite a bit. LM is my favorite by far due to its ability to zoom in closer than Nav. Of course, this is only important if the lakes you fish are on the LM chip. Good luck.

I have the Navionics, and made my decision based on the lakes that I fish. I am considering also getting a LM though.

The Navionics chip is SLOW on my gps, and as stated previously, you cannot zoom in as far as the LM.

Hey guys, Thanks for writing. That was exactly the info I was looking for. I can see the rub here. The Navionics chip has some crucial central MN lakes that the Lakemaps chip does not. But then there is the zoom issue. I am thinking that if I would buy just one it would be the Navionics purely on content. One question comes to mind: Is the zoom strictly visual or does it affect the accruacy of the unit. (assuming its an iFinder H2Oc). Thanks again for all the help!!