Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boar

Heater Question?

8 posts in this topic

I have been running a heater that is rated up to 30,000 btu. Overkill I know, worked great but also fuel consumption was increased ten fold, easily whent thru a 20 lb tank in a weekend with no over night burning. I recently went to GrandForks an the only thing I could afford an found was a three panel infered with a max of 16,000 btu. It seems to be just right but thats sitting in my yard, not on the tundra of LOW. I was wondering what BTU's you guys are burning. I personally would like to have one up to 20,000 but the time is too close to set up an also could'nt find one, I had to oder the new one I just bought an one that gose up to 20,000 was to expensive. What comfort zone are you guys burning up too? I do have a Mr. Buddy to add an additional 9000 if I need it. Boar

i have 8 x 16 shack. we have vented 20'000 btu and we have it on low most of the time.but then again my fish house has more insultaion then my home.plus we have to propane lights thats another 5,000 btu added.but like i said we have our heater on low almost all the time.

I think my 6X8 and 8X10 are 20,000 and do well most days. I have fired up a Mr. Heater on those windy -30 days but most times they are just fine.

Best thing I did was put in a 12 volt fan to circulate the heat and put some on the floor where you need it.

Can't you just turn the big heater down if too hot, to reduce consumption?

Doing the christmas shopping thing yesterday. Found a little time to sneak away and headed over to the sporting goods next to the mall in Bemidji. They had the Big Buddy heaters (which heat up to 18000 btu's) on sale for $109.00 I just bought an empire heater so I did'nt need one but one might fit your needs. Fish...

I'll whip throu a tank in a day in ahalf on that big heater, my understanding is that a 20 lb tank is to small for that size heater, The bigger the heater, the bigger the tank for proper burning consumption, most days I had to turn it down past low to almost piolet cause it was to warm. any way I think this new heater should work ok, I mounted my mr. buddy an ran a hose to an outside tank if I do need more thanks guys for the input. Boar

yes you would need a bigger tank.100lb tank last me 6 ,7 days

A smaller tank would only limit the amount of gas that could vaporize (and burn) at a given temperature. That means that your heating potential would function inversely with the heating requirement no mater how big your stove is.

Used to know how much a 20 or 100 would vaporize/hour but lost those particular brain cells somewhere.......

Sounds like you've got it under control anyway.

Yea doug I'm not the sharpest knife in drawer, I lost some somewhere between an Ozzy and........What..... Oh yea, toast is good.... Boar?? Fire Bad...