• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jonny P or Kelly

gregh

Guys, Whats the chance the lake will be ready for driveing 1ton trucks out the 1st week of Jan.? I know we cant predict what mother natue will bring but I just needed to ask. Thanks

Uff, tough question. So many factors play into it from temps to snow cover and even barometric pressure.

I really don't have a solid answer for that one. I'm going to go optomistic and say by then we might be ok for the heavier rigs but it is going to be close. My guess is you can go on with the 1 ton but I doubt anyone will get real close to you. wink.giflaugh.gif

Maybe Kelly can give a little insight to this when he gets in, I really could not give you a solid and safe answer on this one.

I am also curious as I would like to come up over the new year 29th-2nd, would be driving a yukon with an 8x20. I will be watching to make a final decision until probaby a few days before.

The 15 day forecast does not have any lows below 0. frown.gif It's going to be slow making ice. I'ld say there is a slim chance of trucks that heavy out there in 2 weeks.

Quote:

The 15 day forecast does not have any lows below 0.
frown.gif
It's going to be slow making ice. I'ld say there is a slim chance of trucks that heavy out there in 2 weeks.

That is what I am afraid of. Hopefullt the weather will cooperate. If not I will be there once it is SAFE to come out. May need to look towards LOW as a secondary option or fish local with the portable.

Quote:

The 15 day forecast does not have any lows below 0.
frown.gif
It's going to be slow making ice. I'ld say there is a slim chance of trucks that heavy out there in 2 weeks.

Kelly or jon, How much ice usually do you guys need to have befor you guys feel its safe to let the bigger(1ton) trucks out?

Quote:

How much ice usually do you guys need to have befor you guys feel its safe to let the bigger(1ton) trucks out?

We never feel safe with the big trucks on the ice. Once you think you are safe thats when bad things happen. Rule of thumb from the old timers is 18" of ice. The old boys that hauled timber swear you can do anything on 18" of good ice.

16 to 18 inches of clear ice and I'm feeling a little comfortable. When I'm plowing with the 1 ton (gas) tho everytime I get close to a snowbank or big drift my behind is clenched tight and my window down. grin.gif

The wind did move the snow around so it has lost a lot of its insulation, that will really help. Buddy has the main road clear of snow about 200 feet wide so that should freeze down fairly fast.

Quote:

16 to 18 inches of clear ice and I'm feeling a little comfortable. When I'm plowing with the 1 ton (gas) tho everytime I get close to a snowbank or big drift my behind is clenched tight and my window down.
grin.gif

I am not sure how to take that confused.giffrown.gifwink.gif