Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schloogs

longest Spur?

9 posts in this topic

DSC00806.jpg

We have the longest tailfeather so I thought the longest spur thread would fit in. That bird was shot in 2003 and is the longest spurred bird I've ever shot. A true .75" Anybody else?

I wish my digital camera worked so I could post pics from my bird of '06. I still have the legs from him. He was the largest bird to date that I have taken: 24 lbs and the spurs were 1 1/4" long measuring straight out from the leg as you did. If you factor in the curve, they're 1 1/2" long.

I saw another bird today that I think will beat this one. His beard is at least 4x the mass of any other that I have taken and at least 12" long. Even though it's cold and his feathers were ruffled a bit, I would estimate this bird will easily go 30 lbs. I kid you not, he is an incredible monster of a turkey. We'll see what happens this spring.

Just shot this one last weekend off some public land in the cattails. My longest one in awhile. [image]http://www2.snapfish.com/gettnurl?a_=209847805&u_=78091965&n_=SFOPRD07&subscribername=SNAPFISH[/image]

Quote:

I wish my digital camera worked so I could post pics from my bird of '06. I still have the legs from him. He was the largest bird to date that I have taken: 24 lbs and the spurs were 1 1/4" long measuring straight out from the leg as you did. If you factor in the curve, they're 1 1/2" long.

Had me going for a little bit. Was thinking, "now that's a BIG rooster.

Hey Lep7mm, turkeys have their own forum now.

I've got a pair of 3/4 inch spurs, too. They came off of about the fourth rooster that I ever shot. Still kickin myself for not mounting that bird.

I shot a rooster with 1 1/8th inch spurs two years ago. Biggest lately have be 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Hey Lep7mm, turkeys have their own forum now.

yeah yeah yeah, I know. I just had to throw that in there laugh.gif

A 3/4" spur on a pheasant is a mature bird.

I do have a pheasant that I shot 12 years ago that had 24" tail feathers, but he had spurs of a young bird.

I saw a rooster with inch and a quarter spurs that nobody shot. The dog caught it. Knid of lost some magic since no one shot it. But the spurs were awesome. 3/4" is a huge spur otherwise.

My dog caught a rooster a couple days ago and that is the best rooster I have ever put into my game bag even though it had some small spurs. She also picked up a hen an hour later, it was her best 2 days of hunting so far laugh.gif