• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody still bowhunting the final 2 weeks

maros91

Thanks, that's the second really large doe I've shot in my life, that when I first saw them I thought they were fawns or yearlings at best. The other one was about 150 lbs. with a rifle, albeit at 240 yards.

Man do I suck at judging the size of single antlerless deer! I've shot button buck fawns that I'd have swore were yearling does & passed on yearlings I swore were fawns until the actual fawn came & then I knew.

I may get to hunt in SE Minnesota this upcoming weekend. I've been bowhunting in Iowa this year because of school; I've seen plenty of deer but never shot. Hopefully I'll connect this weekend on my first hunt in MN for year!

Got out this AM until around 10 - didn't see any deer - just a dozen flocks of geese coming and going on the field nearby. Saw a lot of fresh deer tracks back and forth all over the woods though so they must have been running around last night.

There was a guy with a portable fish house on the lake when I got out of the woods too. I sure am getting the itch to fish. Hunting still wins tho...

Great job bigbucks. Nice doe. I have seen more deer during daylight hours this year in our lottery area which is causing me to rethink bowhunting too hard until the late season next year. With the corn and everything down, they are really hanging out in our woods and the surrounding area and casually moving about throughout the day. Good luck to everyone who is going out there until season end.

I took off work at 10:30 on Wednesday and hit the woods. I went to some public land that I had tried out for the first time last weekend. The tracks on the weekend were everywhere. I figured during the week the pressure would be less from the pheasant hunters stomping around. All of my footprints from Saturday were totally undistinguishable. The were all covered in deer tracks. There were highways everywhere but I didnt see any deer so thinking they are moving in the dark. Still a few more days to get out and try to stick something! I'm not giving up yet!

Went out locally yesterday and didnt see anything. There were a few sets of tracks but nothing extremely fresh. I went out as soon as the snow stopped in the am and hunted until dark. Looks like I may have one more shot before I hang it up for the year and move out onto the ice.

I went out yesterday in hopes of sticking a late season doe. I have had plenty of sign around lately but have not been seeing the deer. That seemed to change with the warmer weather and fresh snow. I had 3 does come by in the morning but could not get the shot I wanted. Went in at 10:00 to do some chores and back out at 3:00. There were fresh tracks in the new snow right under my stand. Right before sundown 2 more does came along but again I could not get the shot I wanted. It was a picture perfect day to spend some time in the stand and I "harvested" a few more memories. That fresh snow always adds to the excitement. I will get out a few more times and still hope to get that doe. If not it's still worth it. Good luck all and have a blessed christmas.

I got out today and saw the most deer I've seen all year. This was mainly because we were doing drives. However, as I was walking to stand in a spot I would spot 2 or 3 together browsing in the middle of the day. Rarely did we jump deer that were bedded down, there were mostly all up and moving during the middle of the day, just never got any quality opportunities for a shot.

This morning was my last that I could hunt for the 2007 season. The wind was just a whisper and 12 inches of fresh powder blanketed the ground, the trees and everything it could settle on. I find there is nothing that rivals a December hunt in fresh snow. Knowing that I would not be in this position until mid Septemeber next year, I took it all in, the cardinals, the opposum, and the chickadees and the nuthatches. Then eventually the deer....

At 8:15 5 does picked a path that would lead them in my direction. 4 passed by out of range but for some unknown reason the last one chose a different route, a route that would take her 20 yards in front of my ice and snow encased popup blind. She slowly browsed, inching ever so close until the time was right to draw. I pulled the Razortec back, hearing the faintest creak that only sounds itself on one of these calm winter days. She was quartering slightly towards me but not severe enough to make me think twice about my 20 yard shot. She heard that faint creak, looked directly into that popup at me and with that I touched the trigger on my release. The fletching dissapeared picture perfect tight behind her shoulder. She bolted at the shot, leaping high, tail standing tall, not aware that she was leaping on borrowed time. For a second I questioned my shot until she stopped and stared right back into that popup. Her legs began to fail and she struggled to regain her composure, but to no avail as she sunk into the 12 inches of fresh powder. I left the blind immediatley, picked up my red soaked arrow and began the track, just to track, already knowing she lay at the end. The beauty of fresh snow painted in a spray of red is one only a bowhunter can understand. I reached my prize, said a thank you prayer to her and her maker, and quivered my arrow for the last time until September.

IMG_2060.jpg

MN, thats a great end of the season story. yesterday i was able to havest a nice doe as well. haven't got my buck yet, but theres four day left can't give up till its over.

Congrats on all the late season deer guys! I have an opportunity to head to Walker on Leech Lake, actually leaving in less than an hour. Never hunted up north before, my father in law and brother in law and myself will be doing some drives with the bows this weekend to try and fill the remaining tags we have. Going to hunt an area i have never scouted or set foot on before, but sometimes being lucky is better than being good. hopefully i can connect or at least see some deer, and heck it's always nice to get out, maybe i'll find a shed or something, and if worse comes to worse i can always try to bring some walleye to hand through the ice. good luck filling those tags, happy new year.

I sat last night. I got blanked in a good area- lots of tracks and sign around me, but no deer. However, the wind was goofy all night and that didn't help my cause.

I'm off to do my husbandly duties this weekend, but I've still got another week after that to fill my ND tag. Good luck to all!

i might try and go hit either carlos avery wma or maybe go try louisville, or rapids lake unit or somewhere in the river bottoms. one last try before the year is over hopefully get some meat in the freezer. anyone else going out in either of those areas?

I have been out every day since last Saturday morning. Needless to say I havent gotten anything or there would be pics.

USPENAMC Sounds like we are hitting the same general spots. I was up at Carlos a few times in the last week. What do you drive? I may have seen you. As far as tips. Unfortunately I cant figure the deer out there other than maybe moving after dark?? I went out the morning after the snow and drove around all the roads out there to see where deer had been moving since snow. Most of the tracks were on the south side of co rd 18. That being said though, I walked what seemed like miles following trails through the swamps and woods thinking I would find beds but never saw a one. If you go up 35 to CA in the morning or evening do you notice the deer in the field on the west side of the highway by MN school of buisness? They drive me nuts!!!!! There were about 15 there morning and evening when I go up there. There were even a couple out last sunday midday when it was like a blizzard.

I have been hunting Shakopee for the last 3 days. Actually I just walked in the door from there. All I can say about that is be prepared to hike and in the snow. I jumped 4 deer out of bed on Thursday afternoon. Yesterday I went at 10am. I work about 3 blocks from there. I walked up on one about 80 yards. Watched it for a couple of minutes and suddenly it bolted for some reason?? I was downwind and behind a tree. Today I walked up on another one about 70 yards away. I watched it for an hour and kept loosing it in the trees/thicket. Snow in the binocs doesnt help. Finally it went behind a clump of trees and I didnt see any movement for an hour. I thought maybe she bedded down. Finally I tried to sneak over. I dont know where the heck she went but she was nowhere to be found. It seems every day they get farther and farther into the swamps. Its hard to be quiet in the snow.

This week in the snow has worn me out. I dont know if Ill make it back out tomorrow or Monday or not. Still trying to arrow my first so its hard to give up now.

Just got done sitting, maybe for the last time. Saw deer about 1/2 mile away but I just don't have that kind of range with my bow...

Might try again this evening I don't know, I think maybe I'm done...

I wonder if they teach DEER SEASON SURVIVAL at that technical college maybe thats why they are there and avoiding us he he he. I tried driving on saturday to louisville unit there must have been at least 20 cars there so i turned around then i went to the MIDDLE ROAD area and there were 5 vehicles park there so i turned around and went to another spot but the access road was closed. so i just came home. I havent been out to carlos or the swamps in the last month. I prob wont make it out on monday i have a gig with my band on monday so i guess it will be until next MID SEPTEMBER. I would like to keep sharing spots with you all through out the year see what we can come up with together.

Plenty of deer on the camera but a broken toe and the flu bug ended my season early. I did get a new ground blind so I am so looking forward to next year.....

No deer for me but it was a successful year. Saw deer but no shots that I can make, maybe a little more practice and 40 yards would be ok for me just not comfortable at that distance yet.

I managed to take a doe monday at about 4:00PM at 43yds. Ran about twenty yards and crashed the slick trick did it's job. It's my first late season deer so it felt good.

just made the decision.. got a tag left for WI... and this weekend is the last call... gonna go sit in a tree... wish me luck!

Same thing here Dietz. I'm leaving tomorrow and hunting till Sunday. I might shed a tear as the sun goes down the last day. frown.gif Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.

I passed on 6 does and fawns and killed a nice 8pt buck at last light on New Years Eve. I let him be overnight and recovered him New Years Day morning. He was certainly an older deer, with a big head, a roman nose and a fatless, large frame body. I could not think of a better way then to leave the year taking a nice buck and then to bring in a new year with a deer retrieval.

Went Saturday night with two buddies, saw a ton of deer. One buddy nailed a doe about 2:30 in the afternoon. I missed a doe that I thought was 40, apparently she was farther, of course the range finder was in the truck...

Went Monday night with another buddy, different place. Set up a stand went back to the truck to get geared up. Locked the truck realized I'd forgot something in the truck so dug in pocket to get key to reopen, dropped it in 10-12" of powder, couldn't find it. I didn't have a spare anywhere on the truck, nor at home, had misplaced a key a few weeks ago & this was the spare. I know, BRILLIANT! Went & got buddy, we looked, couldn't find it, phones in the truck. Walked to two different places, finally was able to borrow a phone to call his wife to come & get us. It was 10 miles, but it took her over an hour, she got lost...

Went back New Year's day with another buddy's metal detector, finally found the key after about 45 minutes. Last "hunt" was MEMORABLE if not productive. Buddy was sitting near the truck & thought he heard a deer go by, which would have had to have gone by my stand first... I took down the stand while waiting for our ride, having never sat in it.

Guess I should have gone fishing instead.