• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello all,

This will be the first of many notes and updates on the 8th ANNUAL TROUT DAY!!

(Please use this as your date, place and time reference as it will not change)

8th Annual Trout Day:

May 3rd, 2008

Forestville Mystery Cave State Park

8:00am - 3:30pm

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

This is a tremendous event for anybody even slightly interested in trout fishing. Advanced or beginner, you’ll want to try to make this event.

Looking forward to attending my Trout Day -08.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try to make it to this one. You can never learn to much and I need to learn alot. grin.gif What tools will I need. 2wt, 3wt, 4wt, light spinning or a 14ft 10wt spey rod. grin.gif Because I don't have a spey rod grin.gif.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and looking the area over.

Look out for sink holes!

A 14ft 10wt spey may be a little small. You may want to go for a 15ft 12wt. wink.gif

What goes on at this Trout Day thing? Any seminars/meetings or the like? Grilled hot dogs or burgers? Or is it a bring your own jerky and fish all day thing? Either way, it sounds like a good time.

Since we are in the state park (at least this year) I cannot serve food. So everyone is on their own for food.

There are grills in the park.

Historically, we have had guest speakers, seminars, electro-fishing, fishing, fellowship and networking, and door prizes.

Trout Day can be considered an excuse to get outside, get back into fishing or the out of doors. A day to meet other folks with similar fishing interests, maybe learn something, a day to share, a day to build new memories.

If you have never fished we can help too.

We do encourage folks to bring their own gear if at all possible.

(This day is NOT about stream fishing presentation or technique!!! It's providing an opportunity, it's about sharing, it's about fishing no matter what kind of fishing you like. It's about remembering!)

More specifics to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics fromlast years Trout Day.

Here's Tyler going in after a trout!

troutday07-copy.jpg

troutday07-copy.jpg

After fishing we headed down to the electro fishing. Here's Steve Klotz (hat on) and Von answering questions.

troutday07-copy.jpg

Here's the eletro shocking.

troutday07-copy.jpg

Got one!!

troutday07-copy.jpg

troutday07-copy.jpg

The kids got a up close look at the trout and minnows that were shocked.

troutday07-copy.jpg

troutday07-copy.jpg

troutday07-copy.jpg

troutday07-copy.jpg

After the shocking it was time for door prizes. Here's just a few shots of some lucky winners!

troutday07-copy-copy.jpg

troutday07-copy.jpg

troutday0719-copy.jpg

Here's the winners of the Lake Vermillion guided fishing trips.

troutday0731-copy.jpg

Eveyone also walked alway with a free Trout Day t-shirt.

troutday07-copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh, did you guys manage to get any troutin in??!! I am sure you will be revisiting that area this year. Nice morels though guys.

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like to volunteer this year we would like to chat with ya. You can contact us here or by e-mailing Steve at [email protected].

* We need both fly-fisherman and spin-fisherman!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I haven't been to Trout day for a few years. I may try & come down again. It would be good to see some of you all again, & Catching a few trout wouldn't be that bad either. ;\)

jim count me and my son tyler in i hope, email me i'l problally be up to doing some kind of talk on fly fishing /tying or whatever you need. bob

Looks like a good group. I'll be close by the weekend before for turkey hunting, maybe I can talk my wife into back to back weekend trips.

Always good to get the kids out.

I'm happy announce that this year's guest speaker is going to be Al Batt.

Al has been a guest speaker at Trout Day before and is happy return again.

For those of you who don't know who Al Batt is here is a quick bio on Al.

Al Batt of rural Hartland, Minnesota is a writer, speaker, storyteller and humorist. Al, who was born and raised on a farm near Hartland, lives in the Batt Cave with his wife Gail. Al writes three weekly humor and nature columns for many newspapers, and does a regular radio show about nature on a number of radio stations. He writes a number of popular cartoon strips that are syndicated nationally and has written jokes for a former President of the United States. He has written for numerous magazines and books, including the Chicken Soup For the Soul series. He is a contributing writer to the book, Minnesota Bird Watching. Al appears each week on “Memories and Musings by Al Batt” on KSMQ-TV. He has written for the movies. He speaks at various festivals, conferences and conventions all over the United States. He has been named Birder of the Year by WildBird Magazine. He has received the Ed Franey Conservation Media Award from the MN Izaak Walton League. Al leads tours to Alaska, disappears into the woods whenever he is able, usually on the pretext that he is “taking the dog for a walk” and speaks to anyone who will listen. His mother thinks he is special.

I am just starting to Trout fish, and hope to make it down with the family this year. My question for you all is this: When you are using a spinning rig what should it be rigged with? What pound test, and maybe even a few tips on tackle. Is a ultra light better?

Thanks in advanced.

For trout with spinning gear I use a five and a half foot ultra light rod with 4 pound test. When I use that rig a use half of a nightcrawler on a size 8 or 10 hook. Just let it float down stream. Some people use small inline spinners or rapalas.

the best luck i have is with blue fox vibrax lures the 2 smallest sizes. couple years ago i got a 24 inch brown a 21 inch brown and a 19 inch rainbow in less than 2 hours. it was awesome. if only i could have that luck again...sigh..

These guys hit it on the head. Small lures/baits work best with light line.

#0 and #1 size spinners or #5 to #7 size rapala should be fished with 4lb test. Light action to medium/light action rod will work great for these size lures.

#2 size spinner or #7 to #9 rapala should be fished with no lighter then 6lb test. Medium to medium/heavy action works great for these size lures.

#3 and up spinners and #11 rapalas should be fished with nothing lighter then 8lb test with a medium/heavy rod.

Vegas, be sure to bring the little ones. They'll be going home with a ton of great fishing stuff this year!

Vegas, be sure to bring the little ones. They'll be going home with a ton of great fishing stuff this year!

You might want to try 3" Powerbait Trout Worms (I like the cheese) with a #8 Aberdeen hook run into the tip of the worm and have it come out in the center of the worm ( 1-1/2" down) so it hangs vertically on your line. I also like to add a piece of Gulp corn to the worm hook combo. With no weight this will hit the water and sink horizontally nice and slow.

• 1 month later...

Winters gone, and we have about a month left. Hope to see a few of you there this year!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

For those volunteering and those still interested in volunteering this year, PLEASE arrive at the Park Pavillion a good 15 - 20 minutes before 8:00am.

We are getting close and I am starting to get excited. Not only for the event, but for a new "open water" season.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

For those of you that are planning on coming to Trout Day, I'd recommend that you come a little early so your not late for the sign-up for door prizes.

This years we have donations from:

Culvers of Rochester

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg Guide Service

Cliff Wagenbach Guide Service

Jim Teeny

Cabela's

Simms

Pure Fishing

Berkley

Nature Vision

Mel Dickie

Plano

Shakespeare

Pflueger

Micah Hanson

This year we will have some new things at Trout Day.

Bob Johnston will be doing a fly fishing seminar. He will cover everything to do with fly fishing for trout in s.e. minnesota.

There will also be a fly tieing class, plus spin and fly casting classes at this years Trout Day.

If you do not have a fly rod, but would like to try fly fishing your in luck! This year we will also be providing fly rods for the casting class and for fishing with one of our volunteer fly fisherman.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Jim will be on T.V. this weekend talking about Trout Day.

Keep a eye out for him on the your local NBC and FOX affiliates airing of "Around Town".

Also, Bob Johnston will also be donating some hand tied flies again this year to Trout Day.

For everyone plannin on attending this years Trout Day, here is a quick run down of the days events.

8:00am registration and welcome (with explanation of daily events)

8:30-8:45- Fly-fishing seminar, with casting, basics, fly tying.

8:30-8:45- Spin fishing seminar with casting and basics

9:30 to 10:00ish- group up for fishing or stay and practice or fellowship.

Fish until Al Batt.

Guest Speaker 12:00 and lunch

1:30 Electro-fishing

2:30ish Door prizes

Quick Question about lunch.

Is it provided? How much?

Or is it BYOL/P? (Bring your own lunch/picnic)

Just curious what I need to bring?

(besides fishing gear of course)

Thanks

Redbeard

Because of time constraints and other, I have simply made it a bring your own lunch/ picnic. Maybe next year we'll sneak something in...lol.

IN the AM, I'll have coffee, rolls, donuts and juice.

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

Thanks for the reply Jim, appreciate it.

Was just curious sO I know what to bring on the 3rd. Sounds like a great event, can't wait for the 3rd!

Redbeard