Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
An Area Lake

Spearing & Angling - a "hole" new topic

8 posts in this topic

Okay - you're allowed to angle in a spearing hole - right? Does that mean I can use fake weeds if I choose to angle instead of spear? Also - if angling - can the spear be kept in the house, or does it have to sit outside? And Vice Versa? It's easy to drop keys and cell phones through a 10" hole, being a newbie to spearing, what should I expect with a 24" x 30" picture window in the floor of our palace? smirk.gif

The best I can say is read the regs. Yes you can have a spear in the house while you angle. This is because of the law changes so we can angle and spear at the same time.

Good Luck!!!

Mike89

First off make sure you don’t sit to close to the hole. You need to sit close enough to see everything but also far enough away to where you are comfortable. It’s a big hole so you have to be really careful.

You can have a rod in your house while you are spearing or one tip up out. That is the understanding i got from talking to a DNR officer last year. Using Fake weeds it up to you I think they will get in the way when you are spearing but they can also help hold fish in the hole.

Okay - you're allowed to angle in a spearing hole - right? this is correct

Does that mean I can use fake weeds if I choose to angle instead of spear?

- if angling - can the spear be kept in the house, or does it have to sit outside? And Vice Versa?

If you have the line down into the water, the spear has to be outside. If you have a spear in the water, the line can be in the house, but can not be in the water.

Mine is about 49x35, which is alot bigger then yours, but all in all, you have to keep everything behind you in the house, and make sure that all cell phones never get even close to the hole. Cause as soon as they go in, forget it.

The part about putting the spear outside is not true anymore. This is from the DNR website:

Frequently asked questions (faq)

* WHILE SPEARING, CAN YOU USE A TIP-UP?

Yes. While spearing, a person may use one angling line or one tip-up. The angling line or tip-up may be inside the house or outside the house.

* IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO JIG OR USE A SPOON IN THE SAME HOLE USED FOR SPEARING?

Yes. A person may angle and spear at the same time, and may angle and spear in the same hole.

* IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO HAVE A HOOK EMBEDDED IN A SUCKER BEING USED AS BAIT?

Yes. A person may angle and spear at the same time, a sucker minnow may be used as bait for angling. If a sucker, being used as spearing decoy, has a hook in it, that sucker/hook will constitute the one angling line which can be used while spearing.

thanks for the new update. I never bring rods along anyway, but i know there is alot of people outthere that do.

The easiest way to interpret the new law is that the spear counts as a line. You can have 2 lines.

thanks