• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Great Outdoors, have you ever found the walleyes on Burntside in the winter. If it’s a night bite maybe it would be worth a try after chasing lakers?

Capt.Blaine

G.O. and I were just talking about looking for Walleyes on Burntside earlier today. No reason why a person couldn't fish for them. Give this a try- It works for me up in Canada. Get set up on the reefs in around 25-40 FOW...The Walleyes should be moved onto them in January anyways. Set up one line deadsticking with a Rainbow and an ice buster right off the bottom then Jig for trout with your other rod! Works great for me! I have caught both eyes and trout literally at the same time- Its a blast, man! grin.gif

I am going to try this out on Burntside myself!

Justin

Capt.Blaine

I've asked this question of many anglers, "Why don't we hear of anyone catching walleyes on Burntside with all the trout fisherman there in the winter?"

I had one favorable response, said he has caught many of them, but only when a big school of smelt come by.

Big school must mean physically seeing them passing by the hole, rather than some flashes on the Vexilar.

One guy reported an almost 5 minute visual, pitch black with smelt, top to bottom.

I have seen this in the summer, but not in the winter. confused.gif

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to have to give it a try this winter. GO I'll stop in next time I'm in Ely to chat some more about the lake and pick up some goods. How about the pout any one ever taget them out there? CashCrews pulled a nice one out fishing lakers a couple years ago. But does anyone ever target them?

Tried that myself last year. Seemed logical. I set up several times and could only manage a few 'pout. I'll try again this winter I'm sure.

GO has talked about seeing eyes on the camera in the summer. I have seen eyes on the camera too. Quite a few in one spot actually, but I couldn't get em to go. The sunnies were ripping the heck out of any live bait I put down there and the eyes didn't hit anything trolled by.

They ARE there. How to catch em is the question. confused.gif

Last summer a buddy and I were checking out a reef for walleyes and could actually see the walleyes below us. (summer) Quickly dropped jigs and coaght three. Don't know if we spooked them or if the small smallies found us but after that we couldn't keep smallies of the hook. Never caught one in the winter. A few years ago my wife and I set up off a reef for lakers and caught a nice pike and a huge smallie. We put her back right away but she was over 20 inches for sure.

Capt.Blaine

We'll talk about the burbots when you stop in.

Know a place where they spawn, and will point it out to you.

If you walk through the shop door and see what appears to be an extremely large eel pout drinking coffee, and wearing a Northland fishing jacket, don't panic.

It's only JustinG grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

U can catch walleyes in b-side I know of a few rock piles out on the dead sea.

[note from admin: Please see forum rules before posting again. Thank you]

Sorry about the post stfcatfish and all the members I was just jacking around. no harm no foul. crazy.gif

Please be sure to read forum rules. 4 posts and already being edited doesnt look good.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

fishkid, Go for it!

When I was younger I could fish the whole weekend without sleep. I can't do that anymore.

frank, I cant fish like that as well I need my sleep it gets hard on us old guy's smile.gif.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Old? Ancient and relic come to mind
grin.gif
BC

I get up at 4:30 AM and you complain when I call you a 9:00 AM on the weekends. cool.gif Of coarse getting up that early entitles me to a nap sometime during the day if the opportunity presents itself.

Although I hope to god I don't have to bear witness to it, I think it might be time for a little misbehavior on the part of Mr. Foss. This is all second hand info of course, but from what I hear it seems that the rabble rousing has been left up to the out of towners the last few years- maybe its time for the locals to get involved... smirk.gif

I cant find the other thread on the bside bash so what was the date again? Ive never fished for lakers before but would like to try it out. What are the details about the bash? Like i said i wouldve just read another thread on it but i couldnt find it.

Quote:

I hear it seems that the rabble rousing has been left up to the out of towners the last few years- maybe its time for the locals to get involved...
smirk.gif

You don't &#$% where you eat. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

You don't &#$% where you eat.
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well put! Someday I may have to start adhering to this type of sage wisdom.

Quote:

Quote:

I hear it seems that the rabble rousing has been left up to the out of towners the last few years- maybe its time for the locals to get involved...
smirk.gif

You don't &#$% where you eat. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ohhhh!!!!! It's GAME ON TIME NOW BABY!!!!!

I might just have to sneak up on old Mr. Steve while he is sitting in his new Otter Cabin out there and wire the two door zippers together while he is sitting in it then sit back and see if he figures out how to get out of there!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Oh, I have alot of tricks up my sleeve! MooHoooAhhAhhh!!!

Justin