• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

owasso

Just got off the ice. fished in front of the landing and got a few paper thin crappies for the effort. have to try it again. there have to be some decent fish around.

SFBoy, keep telling yourself that. tongue.gif

I know there are folks on the board who claim to have cracked the crappie secrets of Owasso, but out of the couple hundred I've caught I've managed one over 9 inches. With the new DNR rules maybe we should get a hundred fisherman & have a tiny crappie roast out on the ice every weekend to put a dent in the stunted little runts!

I am with Max. I never have caught any crappies or walleyes there that were considered big. Last year I ran into a school of dink perches and then all the sudden I caught dink walleyes most were 8-10 inches long. It's a fun lake I always catch fish. I guess if you like fish french fries they would be perfect. grin.gifgrin.gif

I agree. I know the lake pretty well and it has thrown me a bone a few times but for the most part I consider it a numbers lake and the majority of the fish dont have much size. I would never even consider fishing for crappies out there.

I just talked to someone last night who was trying to tell me his boss at work catches "1lb crappies" all the time. Yeah right!! I have yet to crack the crappies on owasso... not numbers, just size. I've done alright on walleyes, but it's hard staying on fish of any size. Last year I only caught two over the 20 inch mark. Otherwise it was all cigars.

I'll be out there today from 2-6pm. Anyone else??

Interesting post. I have shared my experience on this body of water on another Owasso post. As many have stated nice numbes lake and fun for kids. I have on occassion got some 10-11" crappie however they were paper thin. Walleye's you always have a shot at some nice ones with the stocking cigars are common. There is a good Musky population and some nice pike.

Yeah, I forgot to mention pike. I've caught some very nice pike... they all came pre-season while fishing early season crappies. Fun to land on light gear! But I've never caught a "big" pike during the regular season. Funny how that works...

The lake does have some nice pike no doubt there. Their are muskie too but from my expierence there are not many, that or they are really tough to catch in this lake.

Man I went to Owasso today for about a hour and this lake was a zoo. Looked like there was at least 20 cars in the parking lot. And nobody caught anything, including me. Marked a lot of little ones but they were all scared of my bait. Good luck yalls

It was a zoo! I used to have a little spot pretty much to myself and when I went out yesterday there was a permanent and four portables in "my" spot. grin.gif OH well. I did get into some little walleyes. Nothing over 14 inches but it was still fun. Anyone else??

That's what always gets me. The lake gets a lot of attention but doesnt seem to produce great results as far as 'eyes and panfish is concerned.

great place to take the kids. i did see half a dozen or so people out on Valentine over by Bethel. havent been there in a long time. wonder if they still get a few decent bluegills or small snakes.

I agree, great place for the kids. I take them out in Feb or March when the little crappies start get really hungry. Haven't ever been out early season, but late season those 6 inch crappies will really light up the Vex! grin.gif

Were any of you guys over on the NE part of the west bay last night? I was over there, but didn't do much

Yeah, I was over there with a few friends. We were the group tucked back in the bay away from the main group of houses. We did okay. Enough action to keep us busy.

What house were you in??

here comes the foot in the mouth smirk.gif

I usual give it a few tries a year. I gave it a try tonight ended up catching 8 'eyes. BUT biggest was only 14" the rest were quite a bit smaller.

JS187,

I think we may have spoken as I was walking off the lake. Was that you and your friend that were fishing up shallow about 6pm? My buddy and I were pulling our sled off the lake... anyway...

I hear you turnupthefishing... sounds like we did about like you. How deep were you? Was that you in the older Fish Trap?

Wondering what the early morning action is like? I was out Saturday and they where bitting around 3pm abd I am heading out again tommarow after work but havn't made it in the early am yet and I am taking a old highschool buddy out Christmas Eve morning but I don't want him to sit and just stare at the hole all morning it would be great if we could find some action. Thanks

Quote:

I hear you turnupthefishing... sounds like we did about like you. How deep were you? Was that you in the older Fish Trap?

I fished 14-18 fow. I was in a newer fish trap pro.

It was fun getting lots of action and most the time I dont keep fish anyways but I wish the fish had some more size to them.

I was out in that NE part on the private beach side of the lake as well...it's right out in front on my in-law's place, making it an easy trip for me. I wasn't too excited to see all the houses out in "my spot" when I went out but it's good to hear it was a bunch of FM guys. I fish out there regularly and have for the past several years. I have a big Clam 6800 and will be out there again this weekend, hopefully both days. I don't get many walleyes bigger than 12" but it's fun to get consistent action in a spot that's easy to get to! Maybe I'll see some of you out this weekend.

You're spot?? That's my spot!! grin.gif Just teasing... I too have been fishing that spot for years. In fact I remember when I was the only one out there. I could come back time after time and my holes would be the only ones out there. Hmmm... if we don't catch many eyes over 12inches than why are we out there??? smile.gif Anyhow, I've got a black Winnie... just like the FishTraps except black. However, I'm hardly in it... I'm usually hole hopping. I'm not sure when the next time I'll be out, but if I see you out there I'll try to say hi. It would be nice to meet some of you guys who post regularly.

Good luck everyone!

Steve

Was out in "my spot" yesterday, I had 6 crappies not eyes, my buddy got there after the bit but still managed one nice 20 inch, and it went back for the rest of you to catch. I will be going out Christmas eve morning hoping for some action. I would like to talk specifics with someone and compare notes but not post it for the world to see. [email protected] Hope to hear from you soon!!!

CLANCY OR JOHNSON, NOT TOO MUCH GOING ON. BK AND I CAUGHT ONLY 7 CRAPPIES BETWEEN THE TWO OF US IN FRONT OF THE LANDING TONIGHT. THE WERE DEFINITELY BITING BETTER LAST WEEKEND. PROBABLY NOT WORTH THE DRIVE ON A NICE SNOWY SATURDAY.

Was outt today in the early am and not a fish to show for it fished any where from 22 to 7ft and had plenty of sniffers but only a few bites. Hoping its better for Christmas day taking the brother in law out for his first ice adventure. Good luck!

Well Christmas was on the ice with my brother in law, we did manage 6 crappies, 2 pearch and one eye. Tough fishing again. Fished from 15-25ft and not much was interested in biting. Around 6ish we had some action with an eye and a crappie coming out at the same time in two holes right next to each other about 5-6ft of the ground. Also saw a fullsize ford truck driving out there, someone must be lucky because I only found anywhere from 8-12 inches of ice with at least the top 2-3 inches being crap. Might be going back to White bear this week, can't seem to nail them down at owasso, any one having good luck out there?

was out wendsday from 2 pm-7 managed 2 perch, and three eyes the biggest being a big fat 18 incher the other two were around 15-16 no flags all day on a shiner it was really slow caught all my fish about a half hour before dark, im thinkin about pullin an all nighter out there i know there r big ones in there and they only bite at night.