• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spring

walleyedude

has anyone been out yet? we were gonna go out there last night but when we got there it was dark and nobody was out so we didnt wanna risk it.

Haven't been out on spring yet this year, many lakes the the metro are getting there I've found anywhere from 5" - 12". I would agree with you about not going out after dark - ice can get you real good!

i would really check the ice in the light before i would go out there at night. It is a lot safer.

was out by spring today there was one permie out and 3 portables out fishing looked like a little slush out about 100 yards from the landing

i would like a report on spring please could you pm me. I have been thinking on going out there but i just have been working other areas of the metro lately.

Marked fish almost the whole time out there sunday but had to try a bunch of stuff to get them to bite. Ended up catching small crappies.

I second the slow bite. Also had 3 snowmobilers come by at 70+ mph, on both sides of my house......that'll get your heart rate up.

The ice is fairly thick, but its mostly frozen slush (not clear).

I was out for a bit on Spring this last Sunday (12-6) and found the surface a little too slushy for my comfort. Even though lake seemed solid (didn't drill any holes), there was standing water in some of the slush spots. Was suprised that the top was that soft, but I suppose it was the result of an active spring nearby...

Will try again after some more cold weather...

Fredster

out today all day on spring, morning was much better than afternoon/early evening bite. morning caught 2 walleyes in 22 fow one was 16 1/2 and the other 19. saw 2 schools of walleyes role in where i was on the aqua view, each school had about 5 walleyes in it might have been same school. but the fishing was extremely slow as for the panfish, only caught about 10 crappies all day one 12 inches, the rest tiny. and a bunch of small sunfish. but was slow, ice is fine now.. slush spots frozed really well. the walk out is brutal, probably wont go back out until i can drive out... and plus the bite isnt worth it at all.

Im going to bring my fiance out to spring tomorrow at noon. I want to get her on some perch out there so she'll come with me again. Where do you think my best bet is?

walleyejoe, I think I saw you out there Saturday right off the point. I went to the winter road just to check things out and got stuck. I felt so stupid. the snow was so packed down that I tried to back out and just went nowhere. Some guy pulled me back to the road. Thanks to that guy if you are ever on this site. I plan on putting the house out this weekend you going to be around? Sounds like PL fishing is going pretty good. The word on the lake is just south of the wagon bridge has been good.

Was out last night in the fog fishing in 20 FOW. Marked fish on the bottom and suspended the whole time, and threw everything I had at them. Used minnows on a plain hook, a jig, and a swedish pimple without a bite. Also tried different crappie jigs with and without waxies with no luck.

The ice was really vocal last night, kind of spooky. I was on the north shore and there was about 5" of milky ice. Almost looked like less ice than the last time I was out, which was three days before.

the ice is extremely spotty where i was. but people aqre driving atvs and sleds out.... and i wasnt on spring on saturday. must have been someone else. yesterday was the first and last for me for a while out there.. thats how bad the fishing was.

WalleyeJoe,

How thick was the ice?

Are we talking 5" or closer to 8"?

Or anyone that was out on Spring have any info?

Thanks.

I live close enough where i can just throw the sled in the back of the mule and drive over there. Just wanted to check if it would be good enough ice to drive the Mule out on the ice too. with still 5" areas, i might wait a week yet, that thing goes 1500 lbs.

New to this lake and the name kinda makes me think twice about putting the house out there. Are there any springs on this lake to really watch out for?

Thanks

Fished it again last night with one small crappie to show for it. I think my stubbornness is wearing off on this lake.

As for the ice, I was surprised to be sitting on about 10" of clear ice on the north shore last night. I fished the same depth about 100 yards to the west two nights before and I was sitting on 5" of milky ice. (the fishing was terrible that night as well). The ice varies a lot.

I couldn't see a single portable or permanent fish house on the lake from my vantage point, but it was foggy.

was on the east side 2 weeks ago and it was about 7 in thick on xmas went by the dnr landing and saw 4 portables about 500 yards out but havent checked or heard anything

Was out on Spring yesterday from 1-6. Was hole-hopping along the north shore anywhere from 14-18 fow. The day went like this: Mark fish, catch a couple 6-inch crappies, go to new hole. Mark fish, couple 6-inch crappies, go to new hole. etc. It seemed like every fish I caught was from the same year class. But, it was good entertainment, and better than getting skunked.

Fish came on a pink ratso. Crappie minnows were not productive, I actually watched a school of crappies hang around for a bit next to my minnow on the camera. At dusk I tried for walleyes with shiners on the bare hook, on a jig, and on a spoon with no luck.

I've been out there quite a bit this year, so if anyone wants to share some techniques on this lake I may have a few pointers as well. [email protected]

finally got the fish house out on monday. House is sitting on 13" of ice and is 25 FOW. Was kinda surprised that there was 13" of ice. Marked fish all night but very hard to hook them. Ended up gettin about 20 6-8 inch crappies. All went back into the lake. Any one else haven trouble reviving the fish after bring them up from 25 FOW. I tried bring them up slower. It takes about 2 mins to get them back to swimming mode. kinda sucks but I don't want them to die.

Just thought I'd share today's time on the ice. We decided to walk out and the perm houses north of the access looked to be a closer area to try than those on the east end. My uneducated fishing mind told me that if someone puts a perm house on the lake, there must be fish there. Well, I guess that doesn't always work. We started in about 10 fow and after 2 hours, no bites. Then moved east, closer to other houses on the lake. Spent about 2 hours there in 14-16 fow with no bites. From other posts from people on this lake I thought we'd at least get some bites. Now I'm wondering if it's only productive at dawn, dusk and over-night or if we just need to keep hunting for better spots?