• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Conditions on EP Lakes

Does anyone know the ice conditions on Riley, Red Rock, or Mitchell lakes? I plan on fishing one of these lakes this Friday or Saturday.

I checked Riley yesterday and it was 4 to 8"--about 100 yards offshore. Very little snow on top and no slush. Best ice I've seen this year.

Riley froze after the snow so the ice conditions are pretty good. Red Rock had 4-8". The 4 is solid and the 8 is slushy. I fished there on monday. I haven't been on mitchell, but I would say its similar to Red Rock since they both were half frozen and broke up in the wind before the snow came. IT should be uneven but generally safe for walking.

As always, go slow and check often.

It's between Mitchell Rd and EP Rd, just north of Pioneer trail.(check the map quick for directions to the public launch) Not a bad lake to fish. Pretty good Crappie action and pike. A few Bass as well. I plan on being out there today. If you see a Fish Trap Guide and a Black Toyota Tundra on shore, that's most likely me.

Regards,

Curtis

Was out on Riley early today didn't catch anything but the ice was at least 8 inches where I was.

I ended up at Red Rock. I was using strictly plastics little atom wedgies and power bait honey worms, spikes, and wigglers on a diamond jig. I caught tons of small sunfish and two 9" crappies. However, I surprising caught two ~ 2 lb largemouth bass. All fish were released to be caught on another day. Also, I saw about a 5 lb northern scatter the sunnies from under my hole.

On the way out, I lost the blade cover for my auger. Luckily on the way back in, I found it. I only fish from 1:00 to 4:30. It was just a fun day of catching fish. Every where I drilled I found a good 8" of ice.

Squirtis, I saw you over in the deep hole how did you do?

It was fun. I setup a tip up with a quick strike rig and landed about a 4lb bass, lots of fun. Probably the largest bass I have ever caught. Quite a few of the small sunnies, and I saw a northern roaming around several times on the aqua-vu. I tried to entice him with a jigging spoon, but culdn't get him to take it. It was a good day though. So that was your cover? Do you have the jiffy auger? What kind of house did you have? Is it a Frabil? I had 10" of ice out in the main part of the lake. I was happy that finally there was no water on top of the ice.

Yeah that was my cover. It is a strikemaster auger. I have a clam fish trap pro and had the durango that was parked next to your tundra. I was northeast from where you were fishing. That was my first time on Red Rock and it was a lot of fun. But I would have liked to have caught a few more crappies.

Not sure when you left, but usually around 3:30 or 4 is when the crappies atart to bite. I left about then and only saw one on the screen. If I see you out there again, I will stop by and say hello. I like RR, t was suggested to me last year by a friend and it is about 3 miles south of my house, so it is pretty handy.

Take Care,

Curtis

I also live in EP. We should figure something out some night. I've got a pretty good handle of the north bay. The deerp hole is hard to pin down, but I can catch crappies all day up there. I only wish this lake had more of a night bite. I love hitting it after work. Its weird fishing in Dec. The days are so short.

That would be good. I'm out all this week, but next week I am taking off and am planning on fishing most of the week around here. I was just on the SE side of the hole. My tipup was in about 10 FOW and I was over about 7FOW. shoot me an email at beau0090_99@yahoo if you are interested in heading out sometime. I also want to get over to mitchell and maybe some of the lakes near Waconia/Victoria.

Regards,

Curtis

powerstroke-

do you ever fish riley? i have been there a handfull of times myself and had decent luck, but i would like to target some eyes if possible catch some. Maybe we should have a chaska/chan/ep get together some night there.

I was on Riley last night, caught the smallest walleye I've ever seen and that was about it. I'd like to fish it more if it's any good since it's so close to my place.

I have never fished Riley in the winter. I would like to try since it probably has the most potential of any of the surrounding lakes. In the summer I've caught every species of fish I could find. Walleyes, pike, bass, crappies and sunnies. I wish I could get around better, but I have to drag my shack everywhere. I don't thinkI've ever heard anything bad about Riley.

I fish Riley a lot in the summer but have never in the winter. The only bad thing I have to say is that I notice a lot of the crappies this year (about 1/2) had a large red sore or lesion on them. Have looked online for what it could be with little results. Nothing really matched what I saw. Most of the eyes I have caught have been small but my wife caught the biggest Northern she had ever caught on Riley also.

Be safe out there.

Guys,

I would like to try Riley sometime if anyone is up to it. Maybe bring the grill out there and have a little get together some weekend? I have never fished the lake winter/summer. Maybe that will be on the agenda next week. What was the ice like out there recently? Any spots to try/avoid (danger)?

Regards,

Curtis

If you want to have a get together at Riley, I'd be in. I've fished it from time to time. I know it has some very nice 'gills in it, but I've never cracked that nut during ice. I've run into walleyes a few times on the ice and have caught a crappie or two. Its a nice lake and I live about 5 minutes from it...

Count me in on a Riley get together too.

I've lived in EP for 4 years and never fished any of the lakes around the area and it would be fun to meet some new fishing buddies.

I'd be in for a get together on riley, i've fished it a few times in the winter but never anything to write home about. I would like to learn it a little better, and like calli said meet some new fishing buddy's in the SW Metro! Let me know of a time and place - [email protected]

well do you guys want to do it before christmas or after christmas. I know it is sudden but i am probally going to give it a whirl on wed. night after work probally get out there at about 4pm. I will be on the north side in a X2 with a yellow can am. come out and say hi if you see me.

J

That will be too early for me, as I am busy this week, but a friend of mine is coming down to fish this weekend and we we going to try one of the local lakes on Saturday(22nd). I am not sure what time, but I will update this thread when I find out for sure. Most likely it will be an afternoon thing ~ 1-4 p.m. If there are people interested, then we would probably head to Riley then.

I'm a Fish Trap Guide w/Black Toyota Tundra.

We'll probably put out a few tipups and toss the football around a bit, maybe do a little jigging.

Wednesday is a little early for me since all of my gear is about an hour away at my moms house. I usually fish with my brother that is still in High School so it was always just easier to keep everything out there then have to load it up everytime.

The main reason that I want to meet some of you guys is so I can find some new people to fish with close to home.

yeah that is cool, i was just mentioning that i was going to be out there wed. we can plan for something within a couple weeks or so.

I am in for a get together as well. I just moved to the area and would like some fishing buddies.

I will be out fishing on Sunday. Unknown time as of yet, but my buddy wants to go out for his first time this year and I haven't made plans yet. If anyone is interested in hitting it Sunday 12-22 we can meet out there.

Don't know if anyone remembers a post earlier this year about an incident on Mitchell where a massive fish kill occurred, so I'm not sure how great that will be this year.

I always loved fishing red rock when I was in the city during winter months, but unfortunatley it has been overfished year after year so now the panfish size structure is just a shadow of its former self. The crappie bite will start just before evening, and they will suspend, I've caught them 1" under the ice in 12 ft of water before.

Yeah I've wondered about that kill on Mitchell. I saw the pictures of the dead fish, and although there were alot, I don't think it was a total kill. I have a hunch that the panfish that did survive might've had a phenomenal growing year and the pike will be very hungery. It's a theory I might have to test.