Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caughtacase73

Big / Upper Spunk

6 posts in this topic

My fishing partner and I have a camper conversion that we have had out north of Melrose the last 2 years. I live in St Cloud, he lives in Melrose. Quite a drive for me to fish.

So, this year we were trying to find some common ground. I have never fished Spunk but would like to try it this winter. Does any one have any ideas or tips on this lake?

Does any one have an ice report for this year? I am hoping to walk out tomorrow and look around, but could use any "heads up" information before I go.

Thanks for any information.

Upper Spunck has a lot of panfish with sorting required. Plenty of pike and bass as well. A decent population of walleye to be caught. Lots of spots to check out as well. I can't help with current ice conditions though.

Have fun!

Southside of bullrush island in middle of lake has a nice drop off, quite a walk but an area to try nontheless.

A friend of mine lives on the lake and Wednesday he stated there is a lot of slush out there. As far as fish Borch hit it on the head. Good luck!!!

Made it out to Spunk today. Ice thickness varied from 9" down to 6". Only went out about half way to the island. There is still a fair amount of slush in spots on the lake. Did not have any luck but spent most of our time checking out the ice. There had been some wheeler and snowmobile traffic. Hopefully things shape up in a week or two. Hope to take the kids in the permanent for some Christmas time fishing.

I was out on Upper this evening and thank goodness there wasn't any wind because it was cold enough without it. Caught one 15" walleye and marked fish but could only get the one to bite. Ice varied from about 8" - 5" where I was at and no slush.

Nels