Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtm

Night bite

11 posts in this topic

Some friends and I are thinking about renting a sleeper up there and wondering if there is a nite bite. Never fished winnie before but any info would be helpfull. thanks in advance

I have spent many nights out on winnie and my experience has been no walleyes after about 9 at night and they start about a hour before sun up. I have got a few nice pout after dark though.

I agree with eyeguy. I have never had much success on winnie at night. Be it open water or through the ice. I have had the best success for walleyes from 1 hr before dawn or dusk to 1 hr after. Maybe others have found the night bite, but I never have seemed to do so. We tried the midnight bite on opener this year and all I caught was a cold grin.gif

last winter we were up there during valentine's day and caught wally's up until about 10 pm. that was the latest we have ever caught them. the next morning they hammered again about 5:30 am until about 8:30 am.

Thanks guys, who would be the best place to rent from?

Give Highbanks a call.

Sure you can give us a call at 800-365-2560. We have a total of 5 sleepers that can accommodate groups from 4-8 guests. We set-up our sleepers in areas where you'll have an opportunity for some perch during the daylight hours and then you can drop the rattle reels and settle in for the evening for a chance at some walleyes. The weekend availability is filling up quickly. Usually we have availability mid-week and offer a discount during this time. Feel free to check out our website at www.highbanks.com for more pictures and details. We would be happy to host your group on Winnie!!

I have had some of the best fishing at nite! I was up on long pt on lake of the woods when a big storm moved in and had to get off the lake, decided to drive to winnie where the snow fall was less, this was a few years back but we filled out on walleyes, caught 20 some nice perch and nice northerns to boot, i dont know if it was because of the storm to the north of us or what, it was fast and furious fishing, had to go to one rod.

I guess i would have to agree with Mr. marbles, though i have not had "fast and furious" late at night, I have had both slow to nothing nite bites and steady bites with walleyes coming in every ten to fifteen minutes.we caught them right up to the time I left which was 12:00 midnite.

no bull. I have four other people to back me up.

most nights, we packed it in by 7:00, often because we had our limit. I wonder how they would have bitten on the nights we left?

I have had a great nite bit on cutfoot too, now that I think about it, but it's been a few years since I was hunting walleyes over there.

last year, when ever the lake looked busy, the crowd allways pulled out just before dark. most times right when the walleyes started biting???? must have been perch fishermen?

I say it is definately worth the effort to stay late if you have nothing else to do anyway.

smile.gif

I have been fishing Winni for years you can always bet on a bite to begin an hour before sunset and go for for an hour after, sometimes up to 10pm. But it can also get real slow after the sun goes down.

Last year I had my sleeper out there, because I needed a break from Mille Lacs. The garbage left on the ice and the guys zipping across the lake at 70 had just taken a bit away from the fun of fishing.

I had assumed that we would do well during the day and the night would be more playing cards and a beverage or two. As it turned out, we had some nights that ended up with enough action to keep you on your toes. Beware after you go to bed however. We have had a number of slimmers and pout after going to bed. They will take every line in the house withing seconds. Just leave one or two lines down if you go to sleep. What has worked best for us, is put your sleeper up on a hump for the night bite and roam during the day for perch. I have caught very few eyes during the mid day hours. Get ready an hour before dark for eyes on the humps. You can bank on action for at least two hours.

If you are sick of the rat race down at Mille Lacs, it is well worth it to check Winni out for your sleeper. We go through Highbanks when we go over, and they are great as well. All in all, just a good experience all around with just enough of a night bite to keep the edge on.

Thanks for the info, cant seem to get friends to commet to a date. Looks like Ill end up haveing to schedule it all. I here you about millacs smile.gif