Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Which would you choose???

26 posts in this topic

Quick fish lll or flip over otter with sled type?

NO doubt at all Wade get the Otter. The Quickflips are very cheaply made. E-mail or call me and I can walk ya through the different brands and pros and cons.

Wade,

Otter came out with a sub-brand this year called team wild. it supposedly has a lighter canvas, but I couldn't tell the difference. The come with a folding bench seat and a travel cover. I think the one mans run about $250 and the two arn't much more than that. You should really check them out before you buy.

My next flipover will be an Otter, and I've been a Fish Trap man for a LONG time. No question about the Otter. Top quality.

I have to totally agree about the Otter. I have a Frabill and it's now sitting in the shed as mouse habitat. My new Otter this year has been fantastic. A friend of mine has a new Fish Trap and being able to compare them side-by-side has been interesting. I was a bit surprised at how much material and strength the Otter had. Oh yeah and the sleds are almost bulletproof.

Otter built its rep on those titanium-like sleds, for sure. And all the rest is top-line, too. Sorry, don't mean to blather about Otter, it's just that after 11 years with an aging Fish Trap II (canvas tent, yet!) I've been looking VERY carefully at a number of possible replacements (most of which I've fished out of with buddies, too).

Wade I would for sure get the otter. 7 yrs now and still going.You will happy.

Otter all the way. I have abused mine for the last 5 years and am very impressed, i also bought it used. Also a great towing hitch option.

Lemme rephrase fellas. Its not an Otter, its an otter style flip over. The wife informed me the budget allows for about 250 bucks. So its either the quick fish lll cube style, or a two man flip style with sled/tub thats "similar" to an otter style. I thinks its an "Ice Bandit".

Wade, better to try to find a used Otter for $250 than buy a poorer quality flipover new. Uh, any way the boss would go for an additional $100/$150? That would make it easier to find a top-quality used Mr. Ottair!

It sucks how being a Navy vet gets you instant respect from a TON of regular folks but the Chief of the Boat at home just doesn't get it! I mean, I've seen senior admirals bow their heads in front of the Mrs. Sr. Bosun's Mate in a man's own home. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Anyway, Wade, you know I'm just ribbin ya, buddy. We talk an awful lot about equipment, but in the end the fun you have is way more important than the brand of the gear you use. grin.gif

Definately get the Otter- I will bet you can get a great used one for $250.00. You won't regret it.

I bought an Otter Lodge about 3 years ago now and I fish over 90 days during the winter and I have never had one thing go wrong or bad with it. The canvas doesn't even have a single hole in it-everything still looks new on it. Those things are TOUGH FISH HOUSES-bullet proof!!! Get the Pro series not the wilderness ones.

Just my thought-hope this helps!

Justin

Do not get a suitcase style house unless you are going to only use it when driving the truck out and staying in 1 spot. Suitcase style houses will be almost extinct in 5 years in my opinion. Just no benefits to them over a flip over style.

Look in the want adds in the paper and FM and other sites and you will find a 2 man for the $350 your looking at.

Your better off with a small flip over than a bulky suitcase style in my opinion. Pulling them suitcase styles onto the lakes sucks big time, they just plow. Then you need to figure out what to do with all your gear.

Wade,

Listen to Northlander. I have a suitcase style but I only go out a few times a year, don't move more than once or twice a day and mostly go when I can drive my 4x4 pickup. They are hard to drag around if there is any kind of snow on the lake.

Here is a third vote for avoiding a suitcase style. I've got a Clam 2000 and while it's a decent shack, it is not portable enough. The big advantage it does give me is that it fits into my car. I don't think a flip style would.

Wade, like NL said I would go with a flip over. They seem to work better and have less stuff to break. Just easier to set up and move the flip overs. The suitcase style are good for grooming trails though smile.gif

Everyone on here is going to tell you to get an otter smirk.gif There are other brands that make nice shacks too, there just not a sponsor wink.gif. Get what ever flip over you can afford and you like. I have a quick flip 2 and I like it. The only problems I have had with it was my own fault.

What happened to your shack?

Hey Ran,

I am not endorsing the Otter just because they sponsor this site- I give them the thumbs up because I have had one for 3 years and I honestly beat the daylights out of it all winter and it has been a great house for me. I am sure that there are alot of good houses on the market that will last a lifetime. I would recommend the Otter to anyone!

I do know what you mean though. A person should shop for the right fit when it comes to outdoor gear. If I was going ice fishing only a few times per year, I certainly couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a fish house or an auger, or electronics, etc. A person doesn't need the highest ends of gear to enjoy the outdoors. It wasn't too long ago that my ice fishing gear consisted of two jiggle sticks, a 5 gal. bucket, a hand auger, and a wooden shack that I built myself.

I think a person should stick to what ever budget they have set for outdoor stuff and do some investigating into what is the best product available for the amount of cash set to spend. Then question yourself on how much are you really going to use the item in a season? Then one more thing to keep in mind is: what kind of life span is the product going to give me? Then pick something out and have fun!

Justin

Good points there!!!! I would say the Otter houses - hands down!!!! There sleds are deeper than most any other brand. They are just built better.

Has anyone been fishing Eyes or Crappies on Farm ??

I just picked up an Otter at L&M supply in Virginia for a great price. It was the pro series magnum, and I'm super happy with what it cost. smile.gif

Quote:

I just picked up an Otter at L&M supply in Virginia for a great price. It was the pro series magnum, and I'm super happy with what it cost.
smile.gif

Lucky bugger. The canvas on my old Trap II is so patched with different types of fabrics of varying colors that I look like a hobo out there on the ice. grin.gif

How much was it????

$549 smile.gif

Good price. Don't think I could get that price down here. I have the clam 6800 (6 X8). It's 4 years old exc. condition. I want to pick up a two man like that.

L&M is associated with Fleet Farm - don't know if they'd have the same or not.

Thanks!!!

I'll look in the paper tomorrow Or see if I can find a used one maybe.

Now it's time for you to get out next week, suppose to warm up in the mid to upper 20's (at least here in the Cities).

Let us know how you like the house.

Will do! smile.gif