Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Wade Joseph

Which would you choose???

Wade Joseph    0
Wade Joseph

Quick fish lll or flip over otter with sled type?

Northlander    71
Northlander

NO doubt at all Wade get the Otter. The Quickflips are very cheaply made. E-mail or call me and I can walk ya through the different brands and pros and cons.

bigyooper    0
bigyooper

Wade,

Otter came out with a sub-brand this year called team wild. it supposedly has a lighter canvas, but I couldn't tell the difference. The come with a folding bench seat and a travel cover. I think the one mans run about $250 and the two arn't much more than that. You should really check them out before you buy.

Steve Foss    0
Steve Foss

My next flipover will be an Otter, and I've been a Fish Trap man for a LONG time. No question about the Otter. Top quality.

Powerstroke    20
Powerstroke

I have to totally agree about the Otter. I have a Frabill and it's now sitting in the shed as mouse habitat. My new Otter this year has been fantastic. A friend of mine has a new Fish Trap and being able to compare them side-by-side has been interesting. I was a bit surprised at how much material and strength the Otter had. Oh yeah and the sleds are almost bulletproof.

Steve Foss    0
Steve Foss

Otter built its rep on those titanium-like sleds, for sure. And all the rest is top-line, too. Sorry, don't mean to blather about Otter, it's just that after 11 years with an aging Fish Trap II (canvas tent, yet!) I've been looking VERY carefully at a number of possible replacements (most of which I've fished out of with buddies, too).

ripstick    7
ripstick

Wade I would for sure get the otter. 7 yrs now and still going.You will happy.

long caster    0
long caster

Otter all the way. I have abused mine for the last 5 years and am very impressed, i also bought it used. Also a great towing hitch option.

Wade Joseph    0
Wade Joseph

Lemme rephrase fellas. Its not an Otter, its an otter style flip over. The wife informed me the budget allows for about 250 bucks. So its either the quick fish lll cube style, or a two man flip style with sled/tub thats "similar" to an otter style. I thinks its an "Ice Bandit".

Steve Foss    0
Steve Foss

Wade, better to try to find a used Otter for $250 than buy a poorer quality flipover new. Uh, any way the boss would go for an additional $100/$150? That would make it easier to find a top-quality used Mr. Ottair!

It sucks how being a Navy vet gets you instant respect from a TON of regular folks but the Chief of the Boat at home just doesn't get it! I mean, I've seen senior admirals bow their heads in front of the Mrs. Sr. Bosun's Mate in a man's own home. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Anyway, Wade, you know I'm just ribbin ya, buddy. We talk an awful lot about equipment, but in the end the fun you have is way more important than the brand of the gear you use. grin.gif

JustinG    0
JustinG

Definately get the Otter- I will bet you can get a great used one for $250.00. You won't regret it.

I bought an Otter Lodge about 3 years ago now and I fish over 90 days during the winter and I have never had one thing go wrong or bad with it. The canvas doesn't even have a single hole in it-everything still looks new on it. Those things are TOUGH FISH HOUSES-bullet proof!!! Get the Pro series not the wilderness ones.

Just my thought-hope this helps!

Justin

Northlander    71
Northlander

Do not get a suitcase style house unless you are going to only use it when driving the truck out and staying in 1 spot. Suitcase style houses will be almost extinct in 5 years in my opinion. Just no benefits to them over a flip over style.

Look in the want adds in the paper and FM and other sites and you will find a 2 man for the $350 your looking at.

Your better off with a small flip over than a bulky suitcase style in my opinion. Pulling them suitcase styles onto the lakes sucks big time, they just plow. Then you need to figure out what to do with all your gear.

chaffmj    38
chaffmj

Wade,

Listen to Northlander. I have a suitcase style but I only go out a few times a year, don't move more than once or twice a day and mostly go when I can drive my 4x4 pickup. They are hard to drag around if there is any kind of snow on the lake.

Jorgie    0
Jorgie

Here is a third vote for avoiding a suitcase style. I've got a Clam 2000 and while it's a decent shack, it is not portable enough. The big advantage it does give me is that it fits into my car. I don't think a flip style would.

outdoor ran    0
outdoor ran

Wade, like NL said I would go with a flip over. They seem to work better and have less stuff to break. Just easier to set up and move the flip overs. The suitcase style are good for grooming trails though smile.gif

Everyone on here is going to tell you to get an otter smirk.gif There are other brands that make nice shacks too, there just not a sponsor wink.gif. Get what ever flip over you can afford and you like. I have a quick flip 2 and I like it. The only problems I have had with it was my own fault.

What happened to your shack?

JustinG    0
JustinG

Hey Ran,

I am not endorsing the Otter just because they sponsor this site- I give them the thumbs up because I have had one for 3 years and I honestly beat the daylights out of it all winter and it has been a great house for me. I am sure that there are alot of good houses on the market that will last a lifetime. I would recommend the Otter to anyone!

I do know what you mean though. A person should shop for the right fit when it comes to outdoor gear. If I was going ice fishing only a few times per year, I certainly couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a fish house or an auger, or electronics, etc. A person doesn't need the highest ends of gear to enjoy the outdoors. It wasn't too long ago that my ice fishing gear consisted of two jiggle sticks, a 5 gal. bucket, a hand auger, and a wooden shack that I built myself.

I think a person should stick to what ever budget they have set for outdoor stuff and do some investigating into what is the best product available for the amount of cash set to spend. Then question yourself on how much are you really going to use the item in a season? Then one more thing to keep in mind is: what kind of life span is the product going to give me? Then pick something out and have fun!

Justin

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Good points there!!!! I would say the Otter houses - hands down!!!! There sleds are deeper than most any other brand. They are just built better.

Has anyone been fishing Eyes or Crappies on Farm ??

finnbay    0
finnbay

I just picked up an Otter at L&M supply in Virginia for a great price. It was the pro series magnum, and I'm super happy with what it cost. smile.gif

Steve Foss    0
Steve Foss

Quote:

I just picked up an Otter at L&M supply in Virginia for a great price. It was the pro series magnum, and I'm super happy with what it cost.
smile.gif

Lucky bugger. The canvas on my old Trap II is so patched with different types of fabrics of varying colors that I look like a hobo out there on the ice. grin.gif

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

How much was it????

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Good price. Don't think I could get that price down here. I have the clam 6800 (6 X8). It's 4 years old exc. condition. I want to pick up a two man like that.

finnbay    0
finnbay

L&M is associated with Fleet Farm - don't know if they'd have the same or not.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Thanks!!!

I'll look in the paper tomorrow Or see if I can find a used one maybe.

Now it's time for you to get out next week, suppose to warm up in the mid to upper 20's (at least here in the Cities).

Let us know how you like the house.