Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilgamesh

Rock lake

14 posts in this topic

Anybody been out to rock lake recently and know of the ice and fishing conditions? Thanks

Don't know. I was kind of curious on that myself. Anyone?

Me too. Last year the crappie bite was good at the begining of the year then the word got out and the bite really slowed down. I have only had luck in the daylight. As soon as the sun went down the crappies shut off.

I was curious myself so I had to give it a try. Iwent to a spot that was productive for me in the past. I drilled holes from 25-30 FOW. I marked fish on my locator in 9 out of 10 holes that I drilled. The crappies were biting good. I caught over fifty fish in a couple of hours. Most of them were in the 8-9 inch size. They seem to be pretty abundant right now. The ice was only 8 to 10 inches. No one driving trucks that I seen.

I was on Rock Monday and drove my Silverado out. Everywhere I went had 12-18 inches of ice. When were you out there? In comparison, I was on Buffalo too, and there was considerably less ice, and they were driving trucks everywhere.

Has anyone been catching anything. I called the bait shop in annandale and they said people were only catching small gills. Was wondering about crappies and eyes?

bump

I like this lake.

still fishing, you need to check how you measure fish. I was out there ealier this month and I caught a ton of small fish, in fact our group of five guys each caught 25 plus of 5-7" crappies. There was only one caught that was 10. Fun if you want to get out there and catch some fish but worthless if you looking for a meal.

I was the only one out during the Super Bowl. I really like this lake.

I've been out here twice now, the first time I caught tons of small crappies, but I did end up with six keepers. The second time, which was last Saturday, we caught tons of small crappies again, kept three, one 12 incher. Lots of action, but you definitely have to weed through them.

C'mon K Dawg. Do you really expect us to think because you didn't catch any nice crappies that there aren't any in there grin.gif

Wow, who is she napafish??

KDawg, Sorry if I misled you. The fish I kept were 8-9 inch. I did throw back alot of those 5-7 inchers.