Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big troller1

12-11, 12-12 report

13 posts in this topic

My fishing buddy and I hit the big pond tues. 7:30 am, fished till 6 pm. We worked the east side breaks and reefs. Ice depth ranged from 4.5" to 9", yes only 4" in one spot with lots of water coming up. Between the two of us we worked depths from 17 to 25, caught a 17& 23" walleye, a 38" pike and two jumbos all day! Wednesday we fished the same area, but I hit shallow spots, 13 to 16fow, my buddy 20 to 27fow. I managed a 15" eye, 10" eye, and two more jumbos fishing from 7am to 3:30pm. My buddy only managed a 14" eye. In my opinion pretty tuff fishing for us, not a single fish on bobber lines, only caught fish jigging spoons! IFyou are going to walk onto the lake a hand auger will suffice to save some weight, atv's can get around but snowmobiles would be best option. We saw alot guys going out to the flats, anyone turning fish out there?? Not the greatest action at the pond but it is always fun to get up there and fish away, good luck to everyone and be carefull up there with the ice conditions!!

east side areas fished??? if thats not too much? not trying to jump on these spots

We moved around to all kinds of breaks, humps, holes, and shelves from aggate's reef to the south end of lakeside reef.

Glad I wasn't the only one hurting on Tuesday! Walked out of Hunters Point to the break and fished the top and up and down the break all day for one perch. Flasher showed very little activity and when one did show up, if you jigged the spoon or deadstick the fish disappeared instantly. I have fished this lake fairly regularly over the last 15 years, and this was my poorest ice outing ever in terms of fish caught.

Despite that, it was still a great day to be out. I've never been out there where I couldn't see even one house out on the lake. I could see maybe a couple dozen people total on the entire horizon. About 5 inches of ice near the break, with water coming up wherever a hole was drilled. Hunters was plowing a big parking lot near shore so everyone can park there and 'wheel out this weekend.

Hey DuckTrapper, some days your a hero, some a zero, I just feel lucky every chance I get to go fishing, both days were tough for us. My buddy was very frustrated as he is a mille lacs diehard, he's fished it for atleast 20 years, and does very well in alot of the tournaments on the lake, wednesday he wanted to throw everything he had down the hole. He had alot of perch around and even on the camera, sometimes they spooked with the jigging, most of the time they were just hanging out. We tried every spoon in the box, down to the smallest hook and tinyest minnow. The four perch i caught were all 10.5 to 12" so they were nice. We got out with an atv and a snowmobile but everything turnred to a ball of ice, this will be a trip we'll remember just for the frustration but thats why its called fishing, not catching!!

those are nice perch any day. i know its early and not that many people have been out yet, but you guys have a lot of experience...what im starting to wonder is if the creel survey was an accurate representation?

regards,

minnesotatuff

Well the last year and half the bite has been really really good for the most part, I was up a few times in june and it was amazing the amount of boats on that lake each time, and most people were catching good numbers, it was some of the best catching I had all year, any lake, hands down! A lake can only take so much before something gives in. Many fish were taken out of the lake, but many more are still there. From what we saw on the aqua view wednesday is that there are a ton of small perch around. All the eyes we caught were chunky, and all the pictures of eyes from the lake this fall were fat too, so I beleave part of the slow bite is some well fed fish again, kind of what happened I beleave at the end of the bite of the century in 01'. Mother nature is curbing our success once again, and I'm sure the creel survey has truth to the numbers being down, I never saw a creel survey person working the docks up there last summer and alot of limits of fish went home, so who knows the real numbers of what was harvested in 07' just what remains in the lake is partially known!!

Yes, I was certainly a zero that day. But no one should get discouraged about coming up here. Sometimes the fish are tougher at first ice or the cold front last week may have turned them off. I see others are catching a few fish. I learn the most in tough years, tricks that I can use when the bite is better to really slay them. No matter how tough the bite is, limits will be caught by hard-working sharpies all over the lake. I know I plan to be back before Christmas!

I had a terrible day sat. went to a spot i did very well last week and caught 4 keeper perch in 4hrs with 1 24 inch walleye. Moved alot and did worse. Cold front seemed to shut everythign down for me. all the fish i did catch were very light bites. fished 10 hrs brought home 4 perch-my worst day on mille lacs in years. confused.gif

Even though the fishing seems to be slower, I know one thing, you can't catch'em on the couch! I too will be back several more times this winter, it's a lake that I never get tired of fishing! What area's were you working TRZ, we did not head way out feeling that being early in the season and very little fishing pressure last week there should have been decent activity in close and even shallow. One thing though, all of the fish I caught came in and just smacked my spoon, but would not touch the minnow under a float! My Archery Tag is still open so I think I'll hunt this week and then get back to fishing, good luck to you guys the rest of the season!!

i hit Wigwam and St.Albans then went over to Shaw's-the fish i did get were half and half on dead sticks and spoons. hopefullt the bite picks up a bit. I hope to have my shack out by new years!

My buddy tried again yesterday and today out on the flats. He said he couldn't beleave the amount of walleyes coming by on the camera. They wanted nothing to do with a spoon and would go over and investigate the minnow under a bobber, get close to it and backup and leave, this went on all day wherever he fished! I say he needs a shower!!

It was that type of weekend, I had perch on my vex all day in the bays-not many takers even small ones were not hitting-very weird.