• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Xmas Lake

bassNspear

Any reports of this lake. Thinking of hitting it up this weekend. Just thought i would see what everyone has thought.

Xmas is deep and tends to be one of the last to have safe ice. I saw a few tracks out there a couple of days ago, about 50 yards from the launch is a big drop-off. be carefull if you go out.

Saw a guy fishing off the point yesterday afternoon. It's the first point directly to the right from the public access. Drove by again at about 4:45pm and he was gone??

Every year I see a few per shacks just out from the launch... Any body know what there fishing for the DNR stats don't look real good for the lake? I never fished the lake but have always wanted to try it!

Many of those perm houses are usually dark houses spearing for pike. Xmas is one of a very few lakes in the area with clear water. The water is getting "dirtier" every year, but it is still some of the clearest water around.

Also there is some pannies in Xmas. They are finicky little buggers with the clear water. My tip if you are going to ice fish this lake is to fish it during completely cloudy days. For whatever reason the bite has been much better for me on those overcast days.

i think i am going to hit this lake after the first of the year. Is there only one access on the lake?

There are rainbows in this lake. It is incredibly clear too. I agree that snow cover is great as well as some clouds to turn the odds in your favor on this lake.

Yes there is only one access on the north side of the lake.

While I am sure there are trout left from previous stockings, the best action comes after a recent stocking. If the DNR doesn't put the fish in, then don't plan on catching one... Several years ago there was a hot bite, which coinsided with a large stocking of brood fish. That year I'd see, and many times catch, fish evertime I went out. I got seven between 24 and 27 inches that year. Since then I think I've only seen two trout swim by - that's two fish for at least 50 trips our there (over about 4-5 years). So my point is, if they haven't stocked it this fall, I wouldn't hold your breath that you'll go out there and catch a trout.

On the other hand - there are decent panfish if you know what you're doing. The trout fed northerns sure can get big. Biggest thing is to not get discouraged. Fish are there, you just have to be a little sneakier in your tactics to get them.