Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walleye #1

Third Crow Wing and the rest of the chain

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone fish Third Crow Wing in the winter or any of the other Crow Wing lakes in the chain? Are they fair accessible. It has been a long time, but a few years back I fishing 3rd Crow wing and picked up some walleyes and crappies, but I was with a buddy and we walked out from a relative's cabin. He won't be with me this time and I don't feel like trespassing I guess.

Any help with this lake or any of the others that are nearby??

Do they get fished alot??

Thanks

Walleye #1

The acess on third is on the North end. I talked with a guy who fished it last weekend. He said there was lots of flooding on the ice. He did catch a few small Walleyes and a couple of Northerns in about an hour and a half. I haven't been off that acess is a long time. I don't know if it's good or bad.

They resurfaced the access on third this summer. It's an easy access for getting out, but you need to travel down the lake a way's to get to the fish. Right now you'd need a four-wheeler or snowmobile for travel and with the flooding that will be tough. Nearly all the Crow Wings have available access but the conditions aren't overly favorable right now.

One thing to remember about the lakes in the Crow wing chain is that they are just wide spots in the river... There is a fair amount of current going through them plus many of the lakes are spring fed too. What I am trying to say is BE CAREFUL.

There are a lot of lakes in the area that I would try first, then hit the Crow wings when the ice is better.

I would suggest contacting Jason Durham and hiring him for a day to show you around a couple lakes. He knows the area and the ice conditions (plus he's a pretty good guide too).

Be Safe.

mm

Jason-

Do you have an email I can contact you at??

Walleye #1

You can contact me through my website which is listed on my personal info. You can also reach me through the Vexilar website under prostaff. I'd be happy to chat with you about some winter options-

Jason

my dad lives in nevis and i do alot of fishing on the crow wings. third is really good for large northerns in the winter, me and my dad have caught lots of huge northerns out there including two 18 pounders and 3 others over ten pounds in the same day. great lake to spear!

I was thinking about heading up to try my luck on 3rd next weekend. Does anybody have any ice reports? Thanks in advance.

Last I was up was 3-4 weeks ago. But there was a solid 16"+ on the third. I was pulling big crappies off the points and northerns a little shallower. Didnt try much for walleyes, as I couldn't pass on all those slabs. I didnt get to far to the east and north part of the lake, as there was a lot of slush and standing water on the lake at the time still; and with no wheeler or sled, it was long pull too.

Also thinking of heading up to Third Crow Wing on Sunday to fish for the day...any updated reports?? What is the best place on the lake? Are people driving out on it?

Walleye #1

I will be up this weekend. Its gonna be really cold though. My cabin is a couple hundred yards down from the south point, so i will probably be hanging out around there in a 2-man green ottertail portable if you make it over. good luck!

Thinking of heading to the Cabin the first weekend in March on Palmer Lake, any good news about the Crappies, Also we won't have a wheeler is the ice any better having the cold weather lately? Any info would be helpful, Thanks

Haven't been out on Palmer but was out on Long and 4th Crow wing. On Long I found 22-24 inches and on 4th Crow Wing I would imagine you would need and extension by this weekend. I was out on Duck a month or so ago and there were people driving out so I would imagine you would be AOK.

Dan