Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joejelly

North Long

4 posts in this topic

I am interested in fishing north long this year. I normally would fish gull but it will be a while before I will be out there. Was wondering if i can use similar techniques on N.L. as I would on Gull. Wondering were the weedline is out on N.L. My experiences suggest that the walleys on N.L. prefer goldies can anyone verify this? Are there any depths that people prefer. I normally like to fish less than 20 ft will that work well on N.L. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks

North Long is very low this year, i did several fly bys on that lake over the summer and fall, i have watched it shink and shrink!!! but fall, it rose a bit not too much. You will find that you will have to travel several hundred feet to find the drop off on the big part of NL. Merrifield bay has several houses on it right now. The north side of the large part is starting to have some traffic. I have been told that walleyes are good in that area, there is a small creek mouth by that area, (paraside resort) Merrifield has been good for catching lately. But some of my friends got some around south west of the large part/merrifield channel, not sure what that area is named. People seem to be packing up on the north shores of Nlong. Good luck out there and be safe!

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ice is safe out in the middle of the big lake. I know that m. bay is pretty solid and that there are several houses on the big portion. I would like to fish some of the mid lake structure but have not yet investigated the ice conditions out in the middle.

Well, the big part pretty much has dry ice spots now from the winds lately blowing snow off which is a good thing that we need! But beware traveling on drift spots could be thin and slushy. Important is to check the depth as you go along. I have seen some houses get closer to the middle. I was planning on to get off early today and do solo recon flying around lakes to see how things are. But things didnt work out. maybe tomorrow.