Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baitshopboy

"Clearwater Kick' off!!"

19 posts in this topic

finaly its time.... i have been out on clearwater the last two nights and "boy o' boy" its been heck... the slush, and variness in ice really shakes the knee... have manged a few crappies on euro-larve... small though??? they just dont seem to want the minnows at all!!! so you guys are guna get by cheap if they stay on this euro- bite grin.gif but im starting this page for us "clearwaterians"" so lets get chating.........

Where do you go out from? My buddy was out there the other night, said he had 6" of ice, but he walks out from his cabin on the north side. He just texted me the thickness I dont know if he caught anything. Was thinking maybee Saturday I'll get out there.

four of us were out on saturday on the east end and ran into some shaky ice conditions. anywhere from 2-7 inches and the 7 wasn't all good ice, only about 3 of good and 4 of frozen slush. only managed to get one eye and one northern but we weren't in the best spot to fish either.

Was out there Tuesday any where from 1/2"- 6" of ice. good thing had snowmobile cuz I broke thru couple of times, 4 wheeler would have gone down, Why is the ice so thin in places it should be thicker with the cold weather we are having?

i concentrate my fishing to the west side, bjs side.... and yeah the ice conditions are very shakey... so take your time guys and lets try and put some monsters on the ice this year!!! wink.gif

Which side of the lake do you typically fish?

I fish the west side. The bungalo island side.... you would be suprised on how well the fishing actualy is on this side... its very diverse in my eyes... i usauly fish pannies throughout the day and try walleyes at night... do quite well on the pannies though....

Gonna be out there Saturday, hopefully someone is brave enought to try it with a ATV so we have some tracks to follow. I doubt it though. Might have to hoof it from my buddies cabin.

hahah hoof'n it aint that bad... wink.gif haha but i will say this, you can get a long ways with little effort... especially if you have a pack-shack and a little otter sled... makes the hard drag with a normal collapsible look depressing if you know what i mean!! but good luck... just wonder, but species are you looking to chase??

Hopin for some sunnies or slimers during the day then switch to walleys at night, possibly some crappies if they are there. So pretty much everything but dogfish. grin.gif We'll have 4 guys at least and two portables. I'm already sick of dragging the otter magnum lodge with 2 seats and all our gear gets too heavy for my out of shape butt.

You gonna get out there this weekend?

I'm thinking about trying Clearwater this weekend.

I was told that Walleyes and Crappies can be caught out in front of BJ's in a bout 30 feet of water. Is that true?

You guys have any other advice you could offer me for fishin' Clearwater?

yeah farley im gettn out tomarrow night and posibly sat. or sun. morning.... haha ive got pannies on the brain!!! wink.gifand man its killn' me not seeing the bulls in my pail!!! hahaha

mike: you would be suprised what gets caught right in the viewing area of bjs!! hahaha and to ansewer your question. yes it has been done but every year you got work your tail off to catch them some time..... so if ya got the time try it, or go into bjs and they can maybe point you in the right direcrion....... good luck

Thanks. I'll stop in at BJ's and see what they have to offer as well.

Any walleye or crappie reports from last weekend? I am a local who now lives in KS so I am ready for some solid ice time over Christmas.

me and a few buds went out friday night, and caught 15 crappies, very slow biters! have heard of a walleye bite happening but no specifics... sorry

we got one 22'' walleye for three nights of fishing last weekend. pretty slow.

Same here....very slow, was better last year.....

yeah i think imj guna try and do sum explore fishing over the holiday... and use alot of techniques t try and find where the fish are hideing... like last year, we found a couple of good weedy spots and caught a fair share of pan-fish.... mostly sunnies.... buddy caught a 16 inch walleye with some euros one night.... smile.gif