Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassProAddict

Comparison: Marcum vs Aqua Vu Underwater Cameras

8 posts in this topic

I shelved the fishfinder project in favor of underwater cameras.I'v enarrowed down my choices to Aqua Vu and Marcum.To be specific, I've narrowed it down to Aqua-VU Scout XL 50 priced at $210 at Cabela's and the MarCum VS 380 Underwater Camera priced at $250 at Cabelas.

Does anybody here have the goods on these? If you haven't experienced these specific models, brand experiences would still be very much appreciated.

I fish in a lake dam reservois)that's typical...clear,stained,murky and muddy combinations.A lot of vegetation in the form of coontails,weeds and hydrilla.

Inputs very much appreciated.Thanks.

Just bought a VS 380. Used it once at night LED lights turned all the way up. I positioned the camera 3 ft. from my jig and could see it very clearly as well as crappies coming up to take a sniff (though not as visible as the jig due to their dark coloring). This was 10:00 at night in 26 ft of fairly clear water with quite a bit of zooptankton.

This is what I've gathered from research. If lights are positioned around the lens visibility at night is next to none due to particulate reflection. The VS 380 has their lights mounted up higher reducing the reflection. This was evident when I tried the camera last Fri. night. Only a small half in. strip at the top of the screen had the very bright partical reflection. Most of my ice fishing is done at night so this feature was important to me. The other deciding factor was the Sony lens used by Marcum, though i've never done a side-by-side comparison, the picture clarity is supposed to be remarkably better than the Aqua Vu. I believe the Cabelas camera that came out last year has the same Sony lens and gained great reviews. Finally, the 7 in. screen and fair price on the Marcum sealed the deal for me. The only thing I don't like so far on the VS 380 is the camera storage. The cable stores nicely in the side mesh pocket on one side but the camera fits aukwardly in the opposite side mesh pocket. They should make a holster on the side that the camera would slide into securely. My 2 cents.

So how do you know the orientation of the camera? I know Aqua Vu has that MAV system where you can control the camera but what about lower models of Aqua Vu and the Marcum VS 380 you're using?

Question: Clear water conditions, how far do these cameras see on average?

Knowing the camera's viewing direction on any low end model comes down to using something like Marcum's Camera Compass. The above ice compass gives you somewhat of a physical reference as to where the camera is pointing, once you know the starting direction.

Along with the lights positioned above the camera lense on the Marcum (to reduce particulate reflection) having the ability to adjust the light intensity of the Marcum is another advantage as well, for certain water conditions. With the Marcum, you also have the option of connecting a 2nd camera as well.

In clear water, viewing 20 feet isn't out of reality at all.

Is having the "fish looking camera" really all that important? Is it just a gimmick in your opinions?

The fish looking camera has been known to get bit grin.gif Fish come right up to any camera down there.

Is there any way to have a practical solution to finding out the cameras orientation once its underwater? (Non ice fishing, that is)

I would give actions fishing in anoka a try....He sells them both and can show the difference in both..He help me out and i bought the scout 2. I like the unit alote