Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FindWalter

Early Ice

16 posts in this topic

I've been to Rainy twice. Once for fall fishing and once for late ice. They were short trips, but they still left a real impression. Rainy is an awesome lake. That said, a week from Thursday I finally get a shot at early ice. When we fished late ice, we had our best luck for walleye on hammered gold Angel Eyes and anything else in gold. Any other recommendations for crappie or perch this time of year? Seems like on some lakes particular colors always work. Anyone ever used mayfly larvae?

That fall trip was for three days and it was raining and sleeting the whole time, but I caught my biggest walleye, smallmouth and pike at that time in those three days. Can't wait to get back up there!

HI F.W.,

WELCOME TO FISHING MN., AND THE RAINY LAKE SITE. YOU DIDN'T MENTION IF YOUR FISHING CANADIAN OR U.S. WATERS.

IF YOUR FISHING THE U.S. SIDE, GOOD LUCK ON TARGETING CRAPPIES AND PERCH, WE CATCH THEM MIXED IN WITH WALLEYES & SAUGERS., BUT NO-ONE I KNOW THAT FISHES THE U.S.SIDE OF RAINY IN THE WINTER TARGETS ONLY CRAPPIES OR WALLEYES. THAT BEING SAID, MY FAVORITE WINTER LURES...A 1/8 OZ. PINK ROUND HEAD JIG WITH A MINNOW., A NUMBER 5 BLUE & SILVER JIGGING RAP., ANYTHING GOLD, MY FAVORITES-METALIC GOLD FIREBALL 1/8 OZ., A GOLD KASTMASTER, A GOLD SWEEDISH PIMPLE. AND IN RAINY MY 2ND LINE IF I'M NOT JIGGING BOTH LINES WITHOUT BOBBERS, WOULD BE A BLUE HOOK, SLIP BOBBER SET UP WITH A BIG SHINNER.

BY THE WAY IF YOU HAVE FISHED RAINY 3 TIMES & LIKE IT, WAIT TILL YOUR 28TH YEAR, EACH YEAR, IT ONLY GETS BETTER.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Fishmiester,

Any ice up by Dale in NW bay? Would like to get up there this weekend with the snow machines, eh.

Thanks, David

How far east has anyone gone?

Appreciate the welcome Fishmiester! What a wealth of information, too. No other lake in the north country is like Rainy. You're lucky to have it in your back yard which I'm sure you already know.

We'll be fishing the US side around Ranier. Thought maybe if the walleye were mostly a morning/evening bite, perch and crappie might fill in during the day. Can't wait to get up there and put some walleyes on the ice!

Thanks again...

HI F.W.,

REMEMBER THERE IS STILL ALOT OF CURRENT UNDER THE RANIER BRIDGE, SO THIS MAKES FOR VERY UNSAFE ICE., ALSO IN FRONT BIRCH POINT THERE IS SOME CURRENT THAT WRAPS AROUND THAT POINT, I HAVE SEEN MANY FOLKS GO SWIMMING THERE IN THE WINTER...NOT BY CHOICE., ONE TIME IT WAS DAD WITH HIS 3 BOYS ON 1- 4 WHEELER. THE CURRENT CAN MAKE FISHING EXCELLENT, BUT YOU MIX THAT IN WITH ALOT OF SNOW, FOLKS NEED TO BE CAREFUL.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

HI CEDAR,

I WOULD FORSURE NOT BE HEADING EAST YET, SOME OF IT MAY NOT EVEN BEEN FROZE YET. LOTS OF CURRENT, LITE FREEZE THEN LOTS OF SNOW. WE NEED SOME MAJOR COLD WEATHER TO FREEZE EVERYTHING UP., AND I CAN ASSURE YOU THE BRULE WILL NOT BE SAFE ALL WINTER.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

HI H2O,

ONLY A COUPLE FOLKS ON THIS FORUM MIGHT KNOW, EITHER MOOSEFART, CHEERS (OUR CANADIAN CONNECTIONS)OR CALL DALE LABELLE AT BIRCH POINT CAMP. HE LIVES THERE & WILL KNOW FORSURE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey Fishmeister_86,

Thank you for ALL the updates, reports and keeping us connected to this great area !!! Question... Are there any houses out on the lake (Out off Birch PT.)? We get a break from our crazy schedules to get up to the in-laws cabin (point of pines) down by the marina for a couple weeks next week. I know the father in-law will be wanting to get the permanent shack in motion, I am just wondering what the ice looks like, and what the snow depth is on the lake ? confused.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! I don't mind swimming, just not in the lake this time of year grin.gif

Thanks again !!!!!!!!

Hey Cedes,

The ice has been slow in forming due to the heavy snow blanket. We have a good 12-18 inches of snow covering the ice in areas. Ice depths are variable as always due to the current in locations. At this point you'll be talking portables likely for your trip, and be careful there also. Plenty more water movement under the ice than last year, and that in combination with the insulating of the ice is slowing slowing the process a bit. On the bright side we boast the longest Ice fishing season in the state, so won't be cheated. Just don't want to start with any mishaps. Hope you get out on the hard water, and if you do GOOD FISHING!

RD

Thanks a million RD !!!!! Kinda what I was thinking, I will be bringing my flip shack and hopefully get a shot at the first break out in front of the cabin anyhow (I hope confused.gif) !!!! I will plan on bringing the youngster over to LOTW for a day !! That should be fun (always is grin.gif) I really appreciate it, If any of ya are around next week, I am certain I will be down by the Post office quite a bit, If you see a "cityidiot" it might just be me grin.gif and I'm buyin' grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks always fella's !!!! See ya next week.

Ha! Glad to see you can make it up! I'll likely be out testing some conditions this evening. I'll try post some of my findings.

RD

perch.jpg Fished the Canadian side this afternoon. Walked out from the Causeway to 34 feet of water. Good ice (8-10 inches) all the way. Marking lots of fish but most not biting. Got 3 dandy perch, lost a big walleye and nice pike right at the hole. Would have released them anyway but kept the perch.

Slush in front of low bridge to the east. Must have just formed today as with all the cold weather it would have froze up if there earlier. Not much snow once you get away from shore so slush should be gone shortly.

Went out with ATV on Canadian side about 1/4 mile north from Causeway. Good ice all the way 8-12 inches. Fishing poor, lost one nice walleye at hole but nothing else.

Saw one guy out on Sand Bay on US side. Couldn't tell if he walked or had transport.

Saw two trucks on Sand Bay Saturday. Looked like they had pulled their shanties out from the Marina. I didn't fish but about 12 inches where I walked out to talk to anglers. SOme bumpy frozen slush in spots.

Don't think I ever thanked you, Fishmeister, for your help when we came up around Christmas. Nobody would have taken pink jigs and that would have been a big mistake. That's what we caught everything on, including a couple 25 inch walleyes. Its a great lake and all the people we ran into were helpful and very nice. We'll be up again, and again...

Maybe it won't be quite so slushy next year.

Thanks again,

FW