Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wmn luv me walleye fearme

lake trout questions

4 posts in this topic

Had this post originally in the trout section someone recomended I try it over hear as well. I tried to do a search but every time since the word lake's in it it pulls up every post. I know pretty generic information but all just never had much of a chance to go after lakers and wondering if its worth coming up end may/ early june

Making my semi annual boundary water trip plans. Have gone anywhere between mid june to end august in the past. Thinking about risking the bad weather and going at the end of may into 1st week of june. Was trying to go earlier becuase I would like to fish for lake trout. have lived in MN for 10 years and fish all the time but living near the cities dont have a clue how to fish for lake trout. Was just trying to get some ideas to see if its worth it to go early when we might be able to catch them. (BY mid june seems from what i've been told they go out a little deeper and are tougher to catch especially out of a canoe) Do you usually use spoons, cut bait on the bottom, etc. Or if i troll some cranks in about 20 feet would that be decent for both walleyes and trout? Know its 6 months out but slow at work so figured I'd give it a shot

thanks

Late May and early June is a GREAT time to fish lakers. Cold water temps mean that the fish can be at just about any depth including near the surface. Trolling with spoons or plugs is a favorite method of mine this time of year especially in canoe country because it is the one time of year where you can do it without having to use some type of downrigger system to get deep. My June trips for lakers involve trolling or jigging from canoe, and putting out a dead cisco from shore laying on the bottom when in camp. Enjoy - it'll be worth your time! smile.gifsmile.gif

thanks for the info. Cant wait. Figure the walleye fishing should be a lot better then as well. (vs going in july or august) Just gotta remind my buddies coming from ohio what the weather can be like that time of year to make sure they got the right gear.

Walleyes can be tough late May and early June. They're usually in between their spawing areas and the reefs. Trolling to locate concentrations is the best method, spending most of your time along shorelines and off of points in anywhere from 3 feet to 30 feet. The good news is that they are usually over their spawning funk, and when you do find them, they're hungry! smile.gifsmile.gif